Old 06-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Lightbulb How to refresh your vinyl decals, steering wheel or chairs so they look like new

I thought I share this little tip as I see a lot of people struggling with this just like I did.

Ever wondered how to refresh your vinyl decals, steering wheel or even chairs so they look like new for next to nothing? I've had a really nasty sunburn marks on my decals that I couldn't get rid of using any cleaning products I could find at home. Also the steering wheel was worned out. I've found a vinyl paint at a car parts shop, they come in different colors at $10/can in Canada. I removed all decals and the steering wheel, cleaned them up with degreaser and ammonia (important), covered with painters tape all parts I didn't want to be painted (screws, back, etc) then sprayed them uniformly in 2 coats. Paint dries and fully cures in minutes. The results are amazing
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180612_092720.jpg   IMG_20180612_093656.jpg   IMG_20180612_092737.jpg   IMG_20180612_125629.jpg   IMG_20180612_125623.jpg  

Old 06-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #2

Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
Lt. JG

Hope someone finds it useful

I'll post an update in a few months to see how it's holding up unless someone else has experience with vinyl paint?
Old 05-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #4
Lieutenant

The top of the my dashboard, the paint has largely burned off, much like yours in the 1st picture. Is there a certain color you used to match up with the original grey? Or, did you just eyeball it?

thanks
The Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #5
Lt. JG

They have lots of different colors to pick from. I went for a new, more updated color 408 Charcoal grey. You can use any color you like, they cover very well.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:55 AM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxum1800MX View Post
I thought I share this little tip as I see a lot of people struggling with this just like I did.

Ever wondered how to refresh your vinyl decals, steering wheel or even chairs so they look like new for next to nothing? I've had a really nasty sunburn marks on my decals that I couldn't get rid of using any cleaning products I could find at home. Also the steering wheel was worned out. I've found a vinyl paint at a car parts shop, they come in different colors at $10/can in Canada. I removed all decals and the steering wheel, cleaned them up with degreaser and ammonia (important), covered with painters tape all parts I didn't want to be painted (screws, back, etc) then sprayed them uniformly in 2 coats. Paint dries and fully cures in minutes. The results are amazing
Hi how did the spray paint on your steering wheel hold up for you?
Wgproffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
Lt. JG

2 years later, it's still holding up like new. I'm surprised myself, my guess is that the key is proper cleaning from all the oily residue
Old 04-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Great to hear. I just did my old dirty seats and they came out brand new looking. Hoping it will last!
LaborOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:43 PM   #9
Ensign

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks bro. You may have just saved me quite a bit of searching for a new steering wheel for my 1900SRL. I'm going to give this a try. I hope it works as well for me as it appears to have done for others.
OhioLakeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:51 PM   #10
Ensign

Quote:

You painted the leather / vinyl steering wheel and seats with plastic paint? The material soft part?
attackgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:22 AM   #11
Lt. JG

I've painted vinyl steering wheel and glove box compartment cover. 3 years later, it still looks like new I haven't tried the seats yet.

Tags
chairs, decals, interior, paint, vinyl