Old 07-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
pgp
Lt. JG

Default Garmin fuel flow sesnor (GFS 10)

Hi all,

I have received 2 of these units and will be installing in the next few days. I will try to document the progress with pics. It will connect to a Garmin GPSMAP 440.

I will also be wiring up my Garmin gps signal to my VHF and my Radar..... Should keep me entertained for a few hours...

pgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
Lt. JG

I recently bought a gfs10 to hook up to my garmin 740s. I had to buy the nmea2000 starter kit to hook it up. It works great but every time it shut down the total fuel on board restores back to what it previously was.... It's driving me crazy!!! Benn on phone numerous times with garmin trying to figure it out.

Diggin2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
pgp
Lt. JG

Well that sucks, I will be using the canbus as my 440 doesn't understand 2000... I hope they sort it out for you.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:10 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggin2day View Post
I recently bought a gfs10 to hook up to my garmin 740s. I had to buy the nmea2000 starter kit to hook it up. It works great but every time it shut down the total fuel on board restores back to what it previously was.... It's driving me crazy!!! Benn on phone numerous times with garmin trying to figure it out.
Do you shut the unit down by its power button or turn off a switch providing power? If the latter the unit may not be sequencing down to store the latest data.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
Lt. JG

I do shut it down via a switch... Not the power button. I will DEFINATELY try using the power button and report back in a few days!!! I have researched it and there have been a bunch of complaints the same as mine... Some offer remedies that worked for some but not others. I would really like to get this figured out as I don't trust my sporadic fuel guage. Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
Lt. JG

I said I would report back about shutting down via the power button and NOT a seperate switch.... My findings: it don't work. The total fuel on board still resorts back to what it previously was. SO FRUSTRATING!!!
Old 08-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
pgp
Lt. JG

Ok let's work through this logically...
1. Is your nmea2000 terminated correctly? The nmea2000 requires a resistor at each end. So TERM-----T------T-----TERM with devices coming off each T The TERM is a resistor pack in a bnc housing. Only need two, one on each end.
2. Do you have the GFS10 units connected to an always on power supply?
3. Do you leave your charplotter plugged in or do you remove it?

I am by no means an expert, but I can figure out the logic side of things. Let's see where we get to...