Old 08-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Entertainment Systems Upgrades - 2800 SCR

These aren't earth-shaking enhancements, but I think worth sharing if someone is considering adding or upgrading their audio or video systems. I added a 20" flat screen on the forward berth bulkhead with an articulating arm. It is connected to a Blu-Ray player and SeaWatch antenna. This antenna signal can be split for use with an FM receiver. It is important to know that you can't use any 2-way splitter, it mush have a broadband capacity up to 2300 MHZ. There are many of these splitters that only go to 1000 MHZ and they wil not pass the FM signals. I have included a picture of the unit I used. The Blu-Ray player is mounted vertically with Velcro. Both the television and Blu-Ray are WiFi capable so we have access to Netflix and Amazon Prime when in port.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0804171634.jpg (106.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 0804171633a.jpg (102.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 0804171633.jpg (130.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 0804171627a.jpg (205.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png Splitter.PNG (37.7 KB, 7 views)

Old 08-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
Lt. JG

Default Audio System

We had replaced the audio unit before, but were extremely disappointed with the infrared remote and the Bluetooth controls via cellphone. This time we chose a Kenwood (KMR-M31BBT) because it can handle up to 3 hardwired remote control panels. We chose the remote control panels with the LCD displays since they provide a good visual display in sunlight and they have full functionality with the head unit. This unit does not have a CD capability and we didn't want that because it provides more exposure to corrosion. Didn't replace the speakers because they still sound great. The cellphone app by Kenwood works great too, but when underway the wired remotes are the way to go. These were placed at the helm and in the sitting area of the cockpit. The extension cable and splitter needed are shown too. (Note: Do not use the vendor shown for the extension cable. They did not deliver and I had to go to another source.)
Attached Images
File Type: png KMR-M31BBT.PNG (31.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 0804171632.jpg (109.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 0707171712a.jpg (149.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 0707171712.jpg (88.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png KCA-C55MR.PNG (46.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png Splitter.PNG (37.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png ExtensionCable.PNG (20.5 KB, 4 views)

Old Today, 05:00 AM   #3
Ensign

How do you like that Seawatch antenna? Does it ride nice on the arch? I would love to real in some free hdtv but I would also like to boost my am/fm radio reception. Is it worth the cost and labor to run the cable?

Doug
MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:50 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Hi Doug - it works great for me and is solid as a rock. I purchased the 19" and installed it myself. Running the cable was no problem. You do need to be careful if you choose to split the antenna signal for use with your FM stereo. The "trick" is you have to make sure that the splitter is rated for the widest bandwidth in order to cover the FM frequencies. I have attached a screen capture of the one I used. There are a lot of other ones available that look the same and are used in home applications, but they will essentially filter your signal so it doesn't work for FM and HDTV. Otherwise, as long as you take your time and finish your cable ends as instructed, you should be in good shape. My stereo sounds great and I get the widest range of HDTV channels available compared to my home that also uses an antenna. Last note, generally the AM bands are picked up fine by a small "wire" antenna that is usually on your receiver and simply hanging off the back (about 2-3" and nothing to install). This external antenna services the frequencies associated with FM, UHF and HDTV.
Attached Images
File Type: png Splitter.PNG (466.5 KB, 0 views)