Old 04-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID
Red face Custom Cooler under rear salon seat

Not really sure what the large compartment underneath the rear salon seat is for on my 2001 2900 SCR, but it's self-draining and resembles a cooler... but it's not insulated at all, so who knows! My friend who has an almost identical boat (a 1999 2800 SCR) and I decided we'd make a "Custom-Cooler" out of it, and insulate it ourselves. He works in the building industry and had access to large sheets of 1" thick styrofoam, used to pack between Custom Doors delivered to his warehouse that normally went into the trash after a pallet of doors arrived. We took these 4' x 8' x 1" thick sheets and cut them to fit the floor and walls of this useless storage area. Prior to customizing this unknown area I had a crappy little 20 quart cooler inserted (wouldn't hold NEARLY enough beer!)

We designed it to be 2" thick and I covered MY sheets of solid styrofoam with isinglass-like material. We can now hold nearly three cases of beer/pop and after adding 2-3 bags of ice the drinks stay cold a lot longer than before (two DAYS on 90 degree weekends!)

We tried spraying that expanding foam insulation stuff on the OUTSIDE of this storage box (from inside the engine compartment) but that resulted in a huge mess, the stuff wouldn't stick where it was supposed to and it was nearly IMPOSSIBLE to apply. So we figured we'd sacrifice a little space on the INSIDE of this plastic storage box/area and build insulation inside. It still drains like it always did, just a whole lot better now thanks to the styrofoam insulation!
Attached Thumbnails
CustomCoolerpic#1.jpg   CustomCoolerpic#2.jpg   CustomCoolerpic#3.jpg   CustomCoolerpic#4.jpg  

Old 04-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Admiral

nice idea....when I had my 2700 scr ..I was thinking seriously about insulating the cooler.......
.however...if you go into the engine compartment, you can build a coffer dam under the cooler with cardboard...then use that spray in expanding foam...trim away the excess.....and that will keep the cooler way cooler.....something to think about...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

I have to limit my time standing and working in that engine compartment (even WITH a single engine!) as I'm just not as flexible and limber as I used to be... wonder if it has anything to do with the 35 lbs I'm overweight by?----naaahhh. This was SO much more simpler for us to do, plus the "back" wall of the cooler was practically inaccessible. And constructing a "floor" for bottom insulation would have required a unique "box" around the space, I felt the heat from the engine compartment would destroy any home-made compartment we constructed over time. We were more concerned with creating a FULLY-insulated compartment with no spaces, much like a traditional Coleman-brand cooler. Since we're often boating together, we figured we could "share" space many times, too... and if storage for six cases of beer wasn't enough for a three day weekend, we had a different problem!

Any idea what Maxum made that thing for, SP?---the "box" I mean?
Old 04-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Admiral

"Any idea what Maxum made that thing for, SP?---the "box" I mean? "

yes...it is a cooler .....of course we never used it for that since it would melt ice faster than a blow torch.....but that's what it was supposed to be....that foam insulation would hold up to the engine heat...that engine bay doesn't get that hot since most of the heat is taken away by the fwc system....so...for me..it would have been ok to use that stuff...but I just never got around too it...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Faster than a blow-torch... agreed (and funny!) Thanks...
Old 04-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Ensign

Did you glue the back side of the styrofoam to the inside of the storage area to secure it or is the styrofoam just sitting against the inside wall? What brand name of material did you use to waterproof the outside of the styrofoam?
Let it be 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Let it be;
No glueing was done, we just cut everything closely with (somewhat) accurate measurements so it would fit real snug. Because the styrofoam was so thick (1") and we used TWO layers we made it so each wall "held" an adjacent wall if you know what I mean---kind of like a jigsaw puzzle---one wall/board was set, then the other was placed to hold up the previous one, then the next and so on. Then I went to a fabric store and puchased the isinglass (sp-?) and then cut IT to wrap around the sheets of styrofoam. Can't remember the brand but it's the same stuff I'd use if I were going to replace the clear plastic isinglass up top (around the salon). My friend Bryan didn't cover his with isinglass but I feared the little chunks of "packing-grade" styrofoam would come apart over time as ice and cans hit it... so I took that extra step and covered all the sides (and bottom) with it.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
"Any idea what Maxum made that thing for, SP?---the "box" I mean? "

yes...it is a cooler.
SP

I would have NEVER guessed that. I have one as well, and it would take a ridiculous amount of ice and beer to fill that thing. With no insulation, I assumed it was just self draining storage. I've been tossing my boat lines and inflatable fenders in there. I gotta admit it works well for wet lines.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Schrew;
My friend Bryan and I take great pride in that observation of "...it would take a ridiculous amount of ice and beer to fill that thing"!
Old 04-16-2011, 03:32 AM   #10
Lt. Commander

I found the receipt for the plastic stuff I bought to "protect" the styrofoam in the cooler... it's Hancock Fabrics' SKU 2142552, "Clear Vinyl" 020 for $5.99/yard (last year's price)---I have no idea why I kept that receipt!
Old 06-02-2022, 02:36 AM   #11
Ensign

I’ve been using that cooler compartment and I noticed the water drains out through the floor stowage area and sometimes the floor carpet gets wet! Is this normal? Is this how is supposed to drain the water?

dgmaxum is offline   Reply With Quote