Old 05-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Concrete built in to the hull??

Hi all I have been a little busy lately between working on the boat and WORK.
I purchased a 3000scr 1998 app 7 months ago from the US and had it sent to me - Perth Weston Australia. The boat had taken in some water. (Mainly in the engine bay) Every thing in the engine bay has been removed and re built or replaced. What I have noticed is that there is app 2 to 3 bags of concrete pored into the hull – starboard side engine bay about were the motor mounting points is and back (starboard corner). I guess it is there to balance the boat off, but I also have the optional generator for the AC mounted just forward of that point? My question is – is the concrete necessary or do I remove it.
I have done a lot of work on the boat and almost know it back to front so if any one has any questions on this model please ask
Thanks Tony

TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Admiral

that's probably Ballast.....to keep the boat level....I'd say yeah..probably needed..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Hi Seapuppy good to here from you, yes that’s what I thought, but is it still necessary since there is all that weight from the generator in the same location ( does the same boat without the generator have that ballast in that location )
Old 05-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #4

I doubt this came from the manufacturer with cement ballast. I do notice that list to starboard when the water tank is full. Worse when the holding tank is full and water is full, but that never happens. (Usually as my water tank level goes down, my holding tank levels go up simply as a result of use of both). Both holding and water tanks are on the Starboard side of my boat. I'm going to guess the PO got tired of a list and decided to ballast the boat a bit.

The best answer is to see how she floats. Try it with tanks full and see if it makes a difference. I'd suspect it would list to the ballast side if the tanks are all empty.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Hi Shrew thanks for the reply on the 3000scr both the holding tank and fresh water are mounted down the centre of the boat, the 2 compartments were the concrete is has had a layer of glass resin /white gel coat over them it almost indicates that it was done in the factory. I am about to reinstall the generator and once it is in it will be almost impoable to get to that section if I want to remove the concrete (the gel coat covering has snapped away/was loose that is how I noticed the concrete)
Old 05-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyA View Post
..........What I have noticed is that there is app 2 to 3 bags of concrete pored into the hull – starboard side engine bay about were the motor mounting points is and back (starboard corner). Thanks Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyA View Post
..........the 2 compartments were the concrete is has had a layer of glass resin /white gel coat over them it almost indicates that it was done in the factory.
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Then again, so are 1,000 words.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Good one Shrew, the question still remains – do I attempt to remove the concrete or leave it there and see what happens ??