Old 04-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #1

Default Cleat Replacement

I'm looking to replace the chrome plated zinc cleats with stainless steel. The ones I have now are heavily pitted and they are causing some chaffing issues with line. It appears that MAxum used Perko for their cleats. I cannot seem to locate a SS cleat with the same exact hole dimensions as the Perko cleats and Perko doesn't appear to make an SS cleat.

Since the originals were installed with washers and no backing plates, I'm going to have backing plates made regardless. If I have to get direct Perko replacements, I'll do so, but would prefer SS replacements instead.

Has anyone tried this? Anyone know of a direct SS replacement for a Perko 8" cleat?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Captain

are these the ones you have...??????

http://www.fishfinder-store.com/perk...ated-zinc.html

greatz, ed

ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #3

Yep, those are the ones I have now, except mine are good and pitted. I will replace with the same if I have to, but would prefer Stainless steel if possible. It's too bad there's little standardization in the industry when it comes to these things.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Admiral

you mean your rich bayliner with lipstick didn't come with stainless steel cleats??

my boat has them all over it...and it's just a lowly bayliner...

but really...all joking asside....
west marine has them for 8 bucks each

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=11412

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
Captain

hai pup.....

you mean 24,99 for the 8" cleat.......i see prices on the internet starting with 20 up untill 46 dollar......

shrew......google "stainless steel cleats" click on pictures and see if there's anything else that would fit......

try this link.....

http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&bi...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

greatz, ed
Old 04-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
you mean your rich bayliner with lipstick didn't come with stainless steel cleats??

my boat has them all over it...and it's just a lowly bayliner...

but really...all joking asside....
west marine has them for 8 bucks each

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=11412

SP
Whoa, Whoa, whoa!!! Who ever said Bayliner was a lowly, subpar boat. I grew up on Bayliner's. My parents still rave about their Bayliner's. They still claim they have yet to see a boat with as much usable storage living space. I suspect new Bayliners are using all SS, but in 1997, Maxum was using chrome plated zinc.

I've searched for SS replacements. Every one that I've found either doesn't match the hole pattern or doesn't list the dimensions of the hole patterns online. I took it into a Defender and couldn't find one that would be a direct replacement. I'll try and take one into WM and see if the WM brand hole pattern matches.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Admiral

haha...just poking fun at my boat .....we have a maxum right next to us who has his nose in the air about his boat....it's a 3300 scr and he's got all the toys...too bad he's so stuckup it isn't funny...

but yeah...what I would do if I were going to replace them all...is pull the old ones off...then as you said..try and match one at a chandlery....if not..just fill the holes and reglass/gelcoat the holes...then redrill...it's the hard way to go about it but the look would definitely be worth it..

ED..if you checked my post above..you would see that they start at about 8bucks and go up from there....so...depending on size and all...it would cost more...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Captain

yep pup i see them starting with 8 bucks

shrew if you decided to change them all after refilling and gel coating the holes, maybe this is an idea.....

http://www.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=h...w=1272&bih=602
Old 04-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #9

I checked the West Marine brand. They also don't line up correctly. Standardization would be nice. I'm not inclined to fill, fiberglass and regelcoat. I'm going to have to go with direct Perko replacements and have SS backing plates made for when I reinstall them. Very disappointing.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
....if not..just fill the holes and reglass/gelcoat the holes...then redrill...it's the hard way to go about it but the look would definitely be worth it..

SP
OK, so I'm considering how much effort it would be to fill, reglass, and gelcoat. My main concern was structural integrity. I'm also considering finding someone to do the work for me. Anyone have a guess at what that might cost for labor?

1) What is the best material to fill the holes with?

2) re-glass?

3) Gelcoat I think I have covered. A little mold release, gelcoat, sand down and buff. I was just going to use the gelcoat repair stuff in a tube, the area is not that large.

Thoughts or suggestions??
Old 04-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
Admiral

first off...each cleat should have 2 ea 1/2in holes, so..the easiest way to repair the holes is to use some simple resin and fill...so..what I'd do is put some tape on the inside of the hull over each hole...just enough to cover the holes ..then mix up some resin and pour into each hole and let sit....don't fill it ...just enough to fill most of the hole..then fill the rest with gelcoat repair after it's hardened.....then sand to match as much as possible.....it will be hard to see the repair...

then redrill over the area where the originals were....this will hide most of the repair....

that's what I'd do..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 04-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
Captain

me to.......
Old 04-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #13

My goodness, you'd think these Perko cleats were made out of gold. I can get SS replacements cheaper than the Perko chromed zinc. So I decided to fill, drill and mount new SS. I took a walk around the local chandlery and there are a lot of options. Resins of a wide variety as well as Epoxy, and of course Epoxy resin. It looks like West Marine is selling a 'repair kit':

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10298

Will this do it, or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 04-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
Admiral

that will work...have all the holes prepped....then mix a batch and go from hole to hole quick so your mix doesn't harden....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 04-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #15
Lt. Commander

Location: Liberty Lake, WA... moored on Beautiful Coeur D' Alene Lake, ID

Gents;
Funny you should mention SS parts... I was looking at a website for a door latch and they won't answer my email, nor their darned PHONE for that matter. I googled them and there's a few OTHER complaints about these guys (www.marinepartsdepot.com)---ever heard of them? Their pricing on SS parts are amazing, but the old adage of "if it's too good to be true..." appears to play out here. Too bad their prices aren't real/true, because they've got 8" cleats that look IDENTICAL to what I have on my 2900 SCR and other stainless steel stuff for about HALF the price of what I've seen elsewhere ($14.32 for 8" cleats as an example). They appear to be based out of California, any clue how to reach them?!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #16
Admiral

jeff
neeeeever heard of them.....beware ...I can't even get to thier website here at work....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 04-22-2011, 12:34 AM   #17
Lt. Commander

SP:
Indeed, I did some nifty investigation from Google Earth's "Street View" based on the street address they have on their website (http://store.marinepartdepot.com/index.html) and the neighboring Starbuck's (in the same strip mall) says there's no such business located in their area. The Barista said it was slow when I called and offered to walk around the parking lot on his cordless phone to confirm there was no such business. Their fax number answers with a fax tone, so I sent one of my fax cover pages to them, asking for a call-back. I think they're a sham, too bad because their website looks (somewhat) legitimate. This website (http://www.complaintnow.com/Marine-P.../display/16677) has complaints about them. Bad news...
Old 04-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #18

You have to be careful when doing business online. Sometimes more so than even on eBay or Craig's list. the rule of thumb is, I try to find a reputable web store front. If I know the make and model I refer to their vendors list. Make sure they post a phone number. Verify with online 'watchdog' sites. See if you can get a person on the phone in sales or customer service. If the price is WAY to good to be true, then it probably is. Frequently the item is out of stock. Some of these companies, take your money, then notify you the item is back ordered. Good luck seeing the product or getting a return call when you're looking for your refund.

Caveat Emptor
Old 04-22-2011, 05:56 PM   #19
Lt. Commander

Good advice, Shrew... in fact I found the same thing @ Boater's World for slightly higher in price so guess where I'll be buying it!---Hey, I'm a Lieutenant now (I had to look at how to spell Lieutenant!)
Old 04-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #20
Lt. Commander

So, I'm digging around the internet looking for cleat deals too, and I find these.

http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/sho...-bulk-50062404

What's the catch? Garbage to avoid? Another shady vendor?

Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote