Old 10-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default 3200SCR: New Carpet & Floor in Salon & Aft Cabin

I've been fighting the idea of ripping out the old and putting in the new...and I've just had enough of the puke green carpet in the salon and aft cabin...sooo, starting this coming weekend I'll be dismantling different areas of the boat's inside to begin the process. I have NO idea what I'm doing, so it will be an adventure. I'll document what I can and bring you pics as I progress....

As Lloyd Bridges said in AIRPLANE.... "I picked a bad week to stop sniffing glue".

SummerBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Captain

Jeff, please take lots of pics!!!

Old 10-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Admiral

haha....best of luck to you on this adventure.....it's not really that difficult...just flat out physically hard.

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Were putting in fake looks like hard wood floor as well. The carpet came real easy for us in the aft.
Post pics please! My boat looks like a wreck with all the seats out right now!
Maxum3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #5

Carpet is another project we're looking at as well. for those who have done a recarpet project, when you pulled the old carpet did you pull it all out, or just select sections. For example, the cabin carpeting in our 97 2800 is not only on the sole, but also used to upholster the bulkheads of the settee seating. The carpet on the verticle spaces is pristine, while the carpet on the sole that actually gets walked on has seen far better days.

I've conteplated removing the carpeting from just the sole and leaving the existing capeting used as upholstry on the verticle surfaces. My logic was it would significantly more complex to upholster everything. I know that there is no way I could match the colors, but I think that would be ok (after all, you're rug doesn't match your wall color exactly in your house either). I've also conteplated going with a SeaDeck or Flexiteak for the cabin sole as well. This would obviously force me to leave the carpeting on the verticle surfaces.

Any thoughts?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
Lt. JG

I think that we are leaving the vertical carpeting on as well and just replacing the floor with fake hard wood. We did however remove the vertical carpeting in the berth area because one of our bilge pumps were not working properly so all that carpet came up rather easy. I plan on using the hard wood on the vertical area of the berth because its already out and should be fairly easy. Unless your carpeting is in bad shape and your looking for a lot of work then id leave well enough alone. But then again if your in it for the long haul..... IF your going to do it then do I right the first time. Right?
Old 02-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
Admiral

I've seen people replace the sole decking with flex teak...pretty awesome stuff and I think well worth the money....gorgeous when finished...I've also seen people replace it with snap in wood decking...

but if it were me..I'd keep the carpet on the vertical surfaces..makes it easier to clean and keeps bruising in rough water down...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Commander

please post pics and lessons learned as this is my next major endeavor. Good luck.
dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:34 AM   #9
Lt. JG

We just redid the floor in the galley. We will post pics shortly. It came out great!

Before

After
Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
Captain

very nice......
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Sorry for the delay on pics guys...but I haven't been up to the lake in a couple months. I did replace floor, in similar fashion to Maxum3200's floor refit. I also replaced every speck of carpet in the salon...on the aft cabin floor, walls, etc. It was a very time consuming process.

For instance, as you walk into the aft cabin, on the right wall there is carpet. In order to replace that you need to remove the vinyl covered bulkhead beside it, because the carpet goes all the way to the edge of the boat frame. I took the opportunity when I had it all apart to add a duplex AC outlet on that wall so that there is now AC power in the aft cabin. Thats just one example. There are quite a few potential pitfalls, but it really looks great, all things said and done.

I'll try to get some pics next weekend and get them posted. Anyone getting ready to do this job, email me and I'll walk you through it by phone. Its just to complex to type out every step. But it is possible to do...and with just one person doing all the work, including the galley floor, it was a total of about 40 hours of labor.

Jeff
jperfater@att.net

SummerBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote