Old 07-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
Ensign

Default 2300 sr dash repair

So I learned how to water dip paint parts and redid my dash then replaced the gauges. I got a quote of $800 to have someone else water dip the weather worn pieces. Undaunted I did it myself with a dip kit from online. Never having done it before it came out amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
D5494089-22DF-4E87-9B30-257BA19DF8A5.jpg   53EDDED6-65F1-464A-AB92-5951113A15CA.jpg  

Bbeskanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #2

Welcome aboard.
Nice work. You should give more detail how you do it or a link where somebody can learn how to do it.

Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:29 PM   #3
Admiral

Welcome aboard

Thanks for sharing.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:15 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugi47 View Post
Welcome aboard.
Nice work. You should give more detail how you do it or a link where somebody can learn how to do it.
Thank you. So I started by taking pictures of where everything goes. Front and from below. Making sure I got all the wires and colors. Then I started looking for new gauges. Searched eBay and boating websites till I found a set I liked. I marked all the wires and loosened the gauges so I could pull off the panel cover that was worn. On ebay I bought the water dip kit. Picking out the pattern I liked. I enrolled the assistance of my brother in the dip process. I bought a steralite bin but that wasn’t big / deep enough. So I went to hardware store and got one of those big storage containers. Learning you can’t fill them with water without supporting the sides with wood and a strap I filled the tub with hot water. You lay the film carefully in the water. If you drip water on the film then it will bubble there. After the film is on the water you spray it. Then you dip the piece transfer the image to the part. I re-installed everything.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbeskanos View Post
Thank you. So I started by taking pictures of where everything goes. Front and from below. Making sure I got all the wires and colors. Then I started looking for new gauges. Searched eBay and boating websites till I found a set I liked. I marked all the wires and loosened the gauges so I could pull off the panel cover that was worn. On ebay I bought the water dip kit. Picking out the pattern I liked. I enrolled the assistance of my brother in the dip process. I bought a steralite bin but that wasn’t big / deep enough. So I went to hardware store and got one of those big storage containers. Learning you can’t fill them with water without supporting the sides with wood and a strap I filled the tub with hot water. You lay the film carefully in the water. If you drip water on the film then it will bubble there. After the film is on the water you spray it. Then you dip the piece transfer the image to the part. I re-installed everything.
You keep the film in the warm water for 1 minute, and then spray even with the activator and insert the parts slowly. After that remove it and was off with warm water for 3 minute to get the shine off and let it dry. Corect? You can coveret with a clear coat by the choice shine or semi shine, eggshell, etc.
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
Ensign

Yea. There is a few great videos online. I took my time and used the whole kit. I ended up buying an extra kit to be sure I had more than enough to use for the project before I started after trying it the first time and realizing I didnt have a deep enough tub.