Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum Community > The Dock Walk
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Commander

Default The US Navy's New Pirate Catcher

The US Navy's New Pirate Catcher

Here are some recent photos of the LCS-2 (to be named the USS Independence). Here she is at sea trials running at only HALF-power at 43 knots! NOTE the absence of a bow wave.

Also turns tightly too. Allegedly this turn was also done at 43 knots... and from the look of the small bow wave, she's still in the turn. Note the absence of any sign of her 'heeling over' even at that speed.

And then there's the massive helo deck big enough for a CH-53. Last time I talked with the SURFPAC guys years ago, THIS was the LCS they wanted because of the size of the flight deck and the huge storage capacity under it.

Note that there is very little spreading wake. In fact, it does not look like a wake at all, just foamy water from the water jets. Somehow, at 43 knots, you'd think there'd be more of a wake.

She's aerodynamically designed and kind of strange-looking. Is this beginning of a new design in ships?

Here's some more pics of the US Navy's new pirate catchers!

WOW! A couple of these should be able to clean up the pirates off the coasts of Africa ..

This is the USS Independence (LCS-2). It is a triple hulled, weapon-laden monster.
Here she is under construction...

There have been rumors about the US Navy's speedy new triple-hulled ships, but now they're for real. The USS Independence was built by General Dynamics. It's called a "littoral combat ship" (LCS), and the tri-maran can move its weapons around faster than any other ship in the Navy. (Ironic that with all that high tech, the ship reminds me of the Merrimac ironclad from Civil War days).

'Littoral' means close-to-shore, and that's where these very ships will operate. They're tailor-made for launching helicopters and lightly-armoured vehicles, sweeping mines and firing all manner of torpedoes, missiles and machine guns. These ships are also relatively inexpensive. This one is a bargain at $208 million, and the Navy plans to build 55 of them.

This trimaran is the first of a new fire breathing breed, ready to scoot out of dry dock at a rumored 60 knots top speed... It's like a speedy and heavily armed aircraft carrier for helicopters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image012.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1880Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1881Click image for larger version

Name:	image002.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1882Click image for larger version

Name:	image003.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1883Click image for larger version

Name:	image009.jpg
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1884

Pirates Beware!

9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Admiral

one of my best friends helped design that thing.....(and I use that term lightly)....it's a total pos and waste of guberment money....the team they had designing it didn't know where to find their butts with both hands .....I haven't seen it personally but I spent 17 yrs of my engineering career designing nuke subs and surface combat ships( similar to that thing)....from the word on the street...it can't stay working long enough to do a mission.....which is about the design yard and the manufacturing yard's problem...luckily the navy hasn't accepted it yet....they have tons of warranty work to get done before that thing can be made ready for sea.....too bad too cuz it looks like it could be pretty intimidating looking....

every time I talk to my bud about it..he breaks out in a cold sweat....to tell you how bad the design group was...the navy fired them and took the drawings away from them to give to another yard....thats how bad this thing is...nice on paper..but totally didn't work out...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
Commander

WOW, didn't they follow the "Production Integrated Defense Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics Life Cycle Management System" https://ilc.dau.mil/pdf/Front_Ver_54...2010_34x22.pdf
I'm in Logistics on the CH-53K and we follow it to the letter.... Our 1st light off is Feb 13, can't wait to see this helo come to life!

Looks like a Great Ship but, if it don't leave the dock it ain't no good!!!

Todd
9Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Ball View Post
WOW, didn't they follow the "Production Integrated Defense Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics Life Cycle Management System" https://ilc.dau.mil/pdf/Front_Ver_54...2010_34x22.pdf
I'm in Logistics on the CH-53K and we follow it to the letter.... Our 1st light off is Feb 13, can't wait to see this helo come to life!

Looks like a Great Ship but, if it don't leave the dock it ain't no good!!!

Todd
I really hate that chart.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Commander

Hey SP, it kind of reminds me of the Pierwolf Nuc sub program. I'm still not sure if they have the bugs worked out of that one yet. Last I heard she was a floating spare parts depot for the Connecticut and Jimmy Carter.

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Admiral

jp...
I really don't have any info on the Seawolf.....that class I spent 7 yrs on detail design to put it in the water...wouldn't surprise me though cuz I hear parts for subs are hard to come by due to budgets......

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote