Old 12-22-2017, 06:26 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default A little safety measure for four-legged companions onboard.

This is interesting information that I wanted to share with you guys. If you ever own a pet and are planning to bring him/her along for the trip, consider having a dog vest on hand. They keep dogs safe around the water and on the boat. Heck, you wouldn’t need to worry about their safety as most dog vests are made of durable materials, enough to keep your furry companion safe. Try this out and let me know what you guys think.

MaxJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
Admiral

I have a vest for my dog but find it makes her more unstable when swimming with it on. It makes her roll on her side. Since she is not a water dog and does not go in the lake we never put it on her.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #3

One of the things I like about a dog vest, is it acts like a dog harness as well. They usually have a handle on the back that allows you to easily (relative to the size of the dog) haul the dog back on board.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:57 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Send a message via Skype™ to 4n6PI

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
One of the things I like about a dog vest, is it acts like a dog harness as well. They usually have a handle on the back that allows you to easily (relative to the size of the dog) haul the dog back on board.
Well said Shrew... They are essential, we purchased the one with two handles to be able to get her back on the boat. As you can see she is quite comfortable in it.
4n6PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
Ensign

MaxJohns is CORRECT. I have been boating with my dogs for over 10 years and they wear life jackets. As a new boater years ago, my 100 pound Labradoodle jumped off the dock to pursue a duck. I jumped in to get him and my other Labradoodle jumped in after me thinking it was OK. I am glad they are "swimming" dogs but if there hadn't been someone else on the dock to help me get them back out of the water they may have drowned. Try lifting a 100 lb. dog over your head while swimming. I may have been able to get them to shore but the dock we were on was one of these real long ones at the marina with about 40 boats on it and we were a ways from the shore. After that I swore I would keep life jackets on my dogs every second until...

I felt sorry for one of them (had three at the time) being hot one day and decided to take it off. Not one minute later, my dog tripped on something and fell off the dock. I was lucky to get him to shore but he was exhausted and almost drowned on the way.

My 100 pounder also slipped off our boat right in the middle of the channel once and if it weren't for the life jacket with a handle on top it may have turned into a disaster.

If you are not putting a life jacket on your dog then you are not doing them any justice, especially for dogs that don't swim. If you say your dog doesn't swim anyway so they don't need one; that is even more of a reason. Whether or not your dog is on a boat or a dock you must keep an eye on them like they are one of your kids. Lesson learned.

Sorry for the long post but this is a topic close to my heart.

One more thing... once we had to take a dock neighbor's dog to the emergency hospital because everyone else on the dock was to drunk to drive. nuff said folks.
FishinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinChick View Post

If you are not putting a life jacket on your dog then you are not doing them any justice, especially for dogs that don't swim. If you say your dog doesn't swim anyway so they don't need one; that is even more of a reason. Whether or not your dog is on a boat or a dock you must keep an eye on them like they are one of your kids.
I did not say my dog can't swim. She swims fine but does not go in the water on her own. On the boat she stays in the cockpit or down in the cabin. If she goes on the swim deck it's because we are as well. On the dock she is in a harness on a leash...
Attached Thumbnails
lexi bow.jpg  

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote