Old 09-17-2015, 02:59 AM   #1
Admiral

Default A day in the life...

Getting ready to go on a weekend trip on my 3000 this weekend. Our marina club is sponsoring this trip so beside me there are 5 other boats going on this trip on the beautifll Ilinois river. We are leaving Friday around noon and returning sunday. The distance we are traveling is around 40 miles and going through one lock. I have not done this in a couple of years and looking forward to it.

Today I wanted to get the gas filled up and the head pumped out but my marina facilities were closed so I headed to a nearby marina by myself. Got to the marina, tied the boat up and now looking for an attendant. I get the pump out all hooked up first but the power is shut off. The attentant shows up on his golf cart says hello and I tell him want I would like and he turns all the power on. Didn't take long to pump the head out so that is done. I get the gas cap unscrewed on the starboard side and lay it on top of the pump out on the dock not thinking anything about it. We are pumping go go juice. A couple guys walk by on the dock and the vibration somehow sends the gas cap off the the top of the pump out cover and like in slow motion I watch it hit the dock and roll into the drink. $#$#@#$&*&&^/$#@ ! We continue to fill up and then do the port side gas tank. It has a chain....go figure.

The attentant apologies to me I'm still going $#@#$#@$&% but I get over it. He tells me they might have some leftovers hanging around in his office so we head up there in the golf cart but to no avail. He brings me back to my boat start it up and head back to my marina. I stick a rag into the gas filler openning. I get back to my slip and get the boat all put away. I take the waste cap and put that on the gas and use that rag to put in the waste tank openning.

I head toward home to stop at one marine shop but not the right size. I get home and immediately hit the computer hunting for a gas cap. Find a store in Chicago so I overnight it. It is the most expensive gas cap on the face of the earth.#@#$#@&/$....break out another ?

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
Admiral

Roger I hope that's the worst thing that happens to you for this weekend trip.

So now your gas will smell like the holding tank, feel sorry for the boats astern.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #3

The upside is you will NEVER do that again. The new cap should have the chain on it, so no worries. I always worry about the pump-out cap since you can't use a chain on it. I never place the cap on the swim platform or the dock.

Just out of curiosity, why not the water cap? Who cares if that sloshes around open?
I understand you wouldn't want to put the water cap on the fuel fill, then back on the water, however the o-ring gasket is cheap to replace and the threads could be cleaned. Do you drink the water or use the ice maker?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
Admiral

Don't drink the water...that is an idea use the water cap and leave it open.

Just got an email from the place I ordered the cap from and maybe it might be shipped tomorrow. Uh so much for the overnight expense down the drain. I thought since it was in the Chicago area and I'm 160 miles south I might of had a chance but no such luck...

One more local marine store to check...

Roger
Old 09-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #5
Admiral

I dropped my water cap in the lake. Replaced it with a cap that floats.
Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:28 PM   #6
Admiral

The silver lining. ...my marina had the gas cap......my holes are plugged now....😨

Roger
Old 09-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

nice.. enjoy the trip.
BB
Baby Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:35 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
The silver lining. ...my marina had the gas cap......my holes are plugged now....😨

Roger

Now your going to get all backed up and FULL of it.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
...............so much for the overnight expense down the drain.
I hate it when that happens. I had a company about a year ago do this to me. I paid for overnight shipping, but it took 3 business days to process the order, which was placed on a Wed. The three day processing was Th., Fri., Monday. Once it was processed it was shipped overnight. So I paid for overnight, which I received 6 days later. Bought on Wed., overnighted and received the following Tue. AWESOME!!

The problem is many of these web store fronts is a guy at home with his PC. You order from him, he orders it for you and 'drop-ships' (he is Bill To from the source and you are the ship too) The web front collects the processing fee.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote