Old 09-01-2009, 02:37 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Winterizing my 1900 SR

hello, I have a 1900 SR with a 4.3L Merc and Alpha1 outdrive, I just want to be sure that I am doing the winterizing right. On my last boat I had a 4.3 (89 Galaxy), and had to pull the four plugs (2 manifolds, and two block drains. I also had a lower radiator hose that went below the oilpan, so I pulled it too. This one doesn't have any hoses below the block drain. Is that all I need to do? I leave for Afghanistan again in two days, and want to make sure it is done right before I leave.

thanks

Chris
(a.k.a. Ole' Sarge)

Ole Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Admiral

Default Re: Winterizing my 1900 SR

Sarge...
Keep your head down over there and thanks for protecting my ole Arse from those animals....second...on your engine ..since your going on with winterizing...don't forget to fog the engine and run antifreeze thru the drive.....this will really protect the boat and it can be stored almost indefinitely till you get back....

Good luck over there......HOORAAAAAHHH!!!..

SP :hello:

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Sarge,

I am a "new" owner of a 1900SR3. While I am not experienced enough yet to address your winterizing question, I wanted to say a big "thanks" for your service in protecting our freeedom. You and the other men and woman who serve (and your families) are all heroes in my book and the rest of us owe you guys a debt we will never be able to repay. Stay safe, good luck, take out some bad guys and thanks again!

Brian
New Boat 8/13/11: Chaparral 206SSI with 5.0 VP GXI SX
Prior Boat: 2008 Maxum 1900SR3, 4.3L V6 190HP, Alpha 1 (great boat)
2010 Ford 150 XLT Super Crew 5.4L V-8, tow package
2008 Infiniti G-35
Brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks to Seapuppy and Brianm. I am home on mid tour leave. Isn't the first deployment, sure as hell won't be the last. and it still feels good to hear people thank us for our service, and not that "We support our troops, but not the war crap". thanks again to a couple of real patriots!

On the engine. Not sure what you mean by "Fogging" the engine. On my old boat I never ran anit-freeze through the outdrive, and never had any issues. I'm in Colorado, so they make us drain the lower unit and hull every time it comes out of the water (zebra mussels). Is this something that really should be done? Do you just use regular RV antifreeze?

Thanks

Chris
(a.k.a. Ole' Sarge)
Ole Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
Admiral

well Sarge....I'm Ex-AF...vietnam era....raised a navy brat...so..I've seen both sides of it all....so...you keep safe....come home soon....God be with you..

to be honest...i don't like the war...no person with any form of morals wants war...but I support the effort and the troops....

as for fogging...there is a fogging oil you can get that spray's into the carb while the engine is running..just as it starts to stumble a bit...you kill the engine....it keeps a coat of oil into the cylinders/carb/intake etc....thus protecting everything including the rings....when you start it back up...just fire it up....clear out the oil (aka smokes like hell)..replace the plugs after start up and your good to go.....

antifreeze the drives...yep...you can use the pink rv stuff...works great.....some people will use the boat stuff ..and then fill a huge bucket with it..stick the drive in....and suck up as much as they can.....that will do the same as some of the buckets and hoses tied to the muffs to fill the drives....i've done both...either one works great....

SP :hello:
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

I am told the boat stuff has corrosion protection chemicals in it.