Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default winterization

Question, When should one winterize their boat? How cold does it have to be before I decide that it's time to put her away for the winter? Sum mer is coming to and end but even if I don't take her out to mess arond I'd like to go later this year to get some fishing in.

DJ63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Admiral

Is it that time again?

Mercy

Roger:-)

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Lt. JG

This year blew right by! I want to get as much time on the boat as I can before I really have to put her away
DJ63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

I'd milk it as long as we can... Last year I was out with the canvas up at only 13C air and 15C water.. 55/59F for you metrically challenged! LOL
Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
Ensign

It depends on the temperature (obviously) and whether you keep your boat in the water or on land. The boat can withstand colder temps if it is stored in the water as opposed to trailer storage. Two years ago I kept my boat in the water until almost December!
Harley31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
Commander

I could not resist, WINTERIZATION! whats that, I have used my all winter, i have only had 3 weekends not on the boat, cant wait for summer!!!
Huddo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:51 AM   #7
Commander

Fortunately for us in the Charlotte area you rarely have to do anything. When the temps do drop well below freezing people with boats out of the water usually just drain the block and their holding tanks.

We don't do anything to our current boat as it stays in the water and is used year around. We trailed all the previous boats and the only thing I did to them was put a bilge heater in the bilge a a small electric heater in the cabin and had them come on when the temps dropped. I didn't drain the block or holding tanks as we used the boats even in the winter.
dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
Admiral

Unfortunately for us in the midwest we have maybe a couple more months to go. Wife and I went out to dinner at our local Italian bistro tonight and stopped by the local Menards. They are selling Meguiars #50 for $8.95 a bottle and a gallon of the "pink stuff" RV anti-freeze was selling for $2.49. Bought a case (6) for right now. Great time to stock up for doing my own winterizing. This stuff always goes up to around or over $4.00 a gallon in october. Looking for the 50/50 antifreeze for the engines. I use about 5 gallons (2 and 1/2 on each engine), sorry don't trust the pink stuff in the engines, but I do drain it out before I dunk it in the water in the spring. Overton's had gear lube on sale with free shipping a month ago. Took advantage of that and bought 2- 2 and 1/2 gallons jugs of the good ole Merc green stuff for both Bravo drives.

Plan ahead and you can save some $$$$$ if you do your own winterizing!!!

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #9

DJ63, the sig says New Mexico. Do you have winter in New Mexico?? It depends on the region and what 'Winter' really means I suppose. In my area, most marina's want boats out of hte water. My marina requires I be pulled no later than Oct 15th. I usually shoot for the first week in Oct. Once I pull it, winterization begins. Funny about how the summer has flown by, I "Boat Winterization List" on my todo list sitting on my notepad right next to me as I write. I tossed it on there the other day. I'm doing similar to Roger. I make and check my list, then start pulling the stuff I need together well ahead of time.

As a general rule of thumb, I'd say winterization starts before you start getting hard freezes. Or when it is simply consistantly too cool to boat enjoyably.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote