Old 02-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default What are you paying for annual/100 hr service?

Hi All

I was just quoted $589 for the annual/100 hr service. Change the engine oil and filter, change the outdrive oil, change the fuel filter, new cooling water impeller, new spark plugs, grease the gimbal and drive splines and a general check up on everything in the engine compartment. I was told there might be an extra charge because I requested premium (Quicksilver) lubricants for the outdrive and grease points. Whats up with that??

Seems high to me. But I am new to outdrives so maybe I am out of touch with the industry service rates on these rascals. I would really like to do it myself but the marina doesn't allow the common folk to play with oil. I imagine they are afraid of spills and disposal problems on the property.

So what is everyone paying to have this type of annual/100 hr service?

Thanks

- 2004 Maxum 2400 SD (traded in August '09)
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
Admiral

pretty much the same thing...my shop charges about 109 bucks an hr...so...the changing the oil and filters is easy for me to do..but pulling the drive to check alignment isn't possible since I don't have the jack to lift it and remove the drive...and with a b3 drive..I don't have a wrench big enough to pull the props to grease the splines.....

I'd say they are close.....within a few bucks...next oil change..maybe you can do it yourself and replace all the filters..fuel..oil..etc....save some denaro here and there...

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

I thought that any Mercruiser dealer was supposed to use Quicksilver lubricants? It's parts of the warranty guide lines isn't it?
Old 02-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
Lieutenant

These are the mechanics at my marina. They aren't affiliated with Mercruiser as a dealer/repair shop. That is one reason why I had specifically asked about what lubricants they planned on using.

I spoke with the mechanic himself (after the gentleman I first spoke with on the phone mentioned a possible upcharge for premium lubes) and he assured me that the Quicksilver lubes is what he used on the Mercruisers. I wasn't adamant about them using Quicksilver oil in the engine, but I did insist on Quicksilver greases and outdrive oil.

That is a good point about the warranty requiring the use of Quicksilver lubes. I hadn't thought about that possibly being specified in there. I am under an extended warranty that was in place when we bought the boat used. I just checked the extended warranty terms and the only thing I can see in there is:

"As a condition of coverage under this Contract, you agree to follow the maintenance recommendations and schedules as stated in the Product Operation and Maintenance Manual"

I guess that is a round about way of saying Quicksilver lubes are to be used as that is what is listed in the engine's owners manual. The only place in the manual that mentions the use of non Quicksilver lube is for the engine oil.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Admiral

not really...it just means that the service intervals are followed and that the oils will meet the requirements for marine engines..there is specific spec that marine oils are rated....I can't remember them right now but it's on your owners manual and any of the quicksilver oils bottles....

I found out too cuz I ran castrol gtx syntech oils in the engine..they told me at the shop that if the engine died for any reason..and they found out that I was using something that wasn't rated for marine use...the warranty would be void....so...I went back to quicksilver oils....just something to think about... 8)
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:33 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Yeah, my manual does say that synthetic engine oil is not to be used. It goes on to mention several API codes that any engine oil (substituted for the Quicksilver oil) must meet.

I haven't looked up the API codes yet to find out what they mean.