Old 02-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Waxing with ZEP!!!

Ok,
So I wanted to share this with you guys, My boat is currently Dry docked for the winter/getting it ready to put back in the water; and I have been looking for a fix (solution) for my Fiberglass getting Chalky. After much Research I have found the solution. According to what I have read it is supposed to last the Entire Season.

1. Barkeepers Friend (wash boat with this first, very fine powder)
2. TSP or aka..Trisodium Phosphate, this will remove any grease, chemicals, barkeepers friend left on the boat off. (WEAR Gloves and Goggles)!!
3. Dawn Dish soap wash.
4. (4) coats of ZEP Commercial Grade Floor Wax ..Available at Home Depot. 1 Gallon should get you 4 coats.. This is Beautiful when you are done. No power washing necessary, Barkeepers friend will remove years of scum from the water, with out harming the fiberglass. Preparation is Critical!
(I think this is great for older boats like mine, but I would not recommend for new boats)!

CLFouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #2

Moved post to its own thread.

Please try to avoid hijacking unrelated threads with new topics.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:17 PM   #3
Admiral

I saw this and I was trying to remember the floor wax application that I've seen on TV designed for boat use. The boat show Shipshape TV has this and it's called ploy-glow. Same principle it's floor wax . About 5 coats or so and you've wax your boat.I would imagine the zep and ply-glow are the same thing. Since zep doesn't have the word boat by it....is it cheaper?

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
Lt. Commander

PoliGlow is what Roger speaks of. It works amazingly well and I always used it on my sailboats (17', 24', and a 26 footer). Made the gelcoat look like new. Never used it on my 2755 SCR Maxum since the original owner had always stored it inside over the winter and it still looks brand new.
Here's a link to the PoliGlow - https://poliglow-int.com/
jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:00 AM   #5
Lt. JG

I don't think this is the Same thing, As this is Commercial Grade Floor Wax.. it does an awesome Job. My boat has never looked this good. Cost is between 15$ and 24$.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:31 AM   #6
Admiral

I won't swear on a stack of bibles but I think it might be the same thing....how's that for being sure of something. ...lol. last time I checked the poli-glow kit is under a c note. That is with the cleaner also. So how much are you getting for 15 and 24 bucks? Is it a one gallon and 5 gallon?

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLFouts View Post
I don't think this is the Same thing, As this is Commercial Grade Floor Wax.. it does an awesome Job. My boat has never looked this good. Cost is between 15$ and 24$.
It's your boat so you can use whatever you want. I can assure you that using commercial grade floor wax is not wise. It doesn't have any UV inhibitors in it, nor will it be able to withstand being outside with Mother Nature. Sure it looks nice to begin with, but after 12 months out in the elements???? Betcha it doesn't look so nice.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
Lt. JG

1 gallon, but you will be doing good if you can use all of it! This is commercial grade made for high traffic, wear. If you don't believe me, Just do a search on the internet you will find out. This has been tried and tested on RV's as well. The main work is in the Prep work..
Old 02-28-2018, 12:37 PM   #9
Lt. Commander

Shucks - I forgot - it's on the internet so it must work for sure.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #10
Lt. Commander

Just a quick note to ask that you get back to us in a couple of months with how you plan to remove the now yellowing and peeling "floor wax".
Old 02-28-2018, 09:08 PM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq26 View Post
Just a quick note to ask that you get back to us in a couple of months with how you plan to remove the now yellowing and peeling "floor wax".
I doubt it since he posted his boat is for sale yesterday.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #12
Lt. JG

I thought I would share this with the members on this Forum. You don't have to do anything, its a suggestion, simply put. But I'm sure you guys are experts on the subject matter and know everything. Do your own research for yourself, this is an acrylic wax that's the difference; yes I realize there isn't UV inhibitors in it, But I have read countless reports about how other people have used it on their Boat/RV with good results and after a year it still looks good. Thanks for the positive comments!
Old 03-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #13
Lt. Commander

Sorry for being negative on using floor wax on an outdoor boat exterior. From my experience (owing boats for 65 years now), I know any acrylic floor wax looks good initially, and may last a few months. Despite what you say about reading countless reports of good results from others, it simply isn't true. All acrylic floor wax (domestic or commercial) will turn yellow and peel after any exposure to direct UV rays.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:46 PM   #14
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq26 View Post
Sorry for being negative on using floor wax on an outdoor boat exterior. From my experience (owing boats for 65 years now), I know any acrylic floor wax looks good initially, and may last a few months. Despite what you say about reading countless reports of good results from others, it simply isn't true. All acrylic floor wax (domestic or commercial) will turn yellow and peel after any exposure to direct UV rays.
I can confirm this as well. I have seen what happens after a few months and it aint pretty! I few RVs where I camp in the summer did this last year and half way through they were yellowing and peeling in places. They had to have a company come in and strip it all off and it wasn't cheap.

arichard is offline   Reply With Quote