Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
Commander

Default Trim Sender Switch Replacement

Had a discussion with the local mercruiser mechanic yesterday and he told me that he can replace the trim sending and limit switches on my Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive without removing the bell housing and bellows. The extra cost of the labor and parts to replace the bellows when replacing the limit switches has been a deterrent to me doing this job. Has anyone seen the switches replaced without bellows removal or done it themselves?

-JP

CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #2
Commander

I did myself it to an Alpha outdrive about seven yeas ago and it still works perfectly. The boat sits on a trailer so it only too about 15 minutes. I used butt connectors with the attached heat shrink skirts. Before I shrank the ends I injected a little silicon inside.

dronthelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #3

Id' be far more concerned about the bellows than I would be about the trim sensor sending units. Sure the trim limit is a bit more important than the trim indicatore, but neither are as important as the bellows. How long has it been since the bellows have been replaced?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
Commander

Yes, it can be done. They do have to pull the leg to do it though. Then you can push down the bell housing enough to expose the 2 trim sender wires and retaining plate where they go through the transom.

So yes, you "can" do it though as the rest have stated, I would do the bellows (and check the gimbal bearing too) while you are that far in unless they were just recently changed or show no signs at all of cracking (still check gimbal though).
I know it is easy to pull the leg but you are right there and it just makes sense to do it all so you don't have to do it all again next year.
mcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
Commander

My question was more in line with weather this guy is blowing smoke up my dress or not. I am about 2 years from needing a bellows replacement. My plan would be to have the mercruiser dealer replace the bellows, trim switches, gimbal bearing after I pull the leg (I trust no one to do it right). I have already cobbed it together with marine heat shrink and butt connectors as a interim fix due to the lack of importance these switches really have. Thanks for the help guys.

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote