Old 04-13-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default trim innoperable

hello all, i changed the bellows in my 98 SR2. i got it all back together and the trim was working erratically then quit. any thoughts?

broncostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
Admiral

I’m assuming you are referring to the drive trim and not trim tabs.

Is the issue only trimming up, down or both? If only up does it always go up if you use the trailer button? If so the trim limit switch is the issue, all else it’s most likely one or both of the trim soleniods.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Broncostu,
I would guess your trim limit switch is out of alignment. Probably happened when you put the switches back on after bellows work.

One of my spring projects is trouble shooting my trim (drive) "UP" operation. At the end of last season my shift/ throttle toggle switch stopped trimming UP, but the trailer button still works just fine. Not sure where the short or broken part might be, any thoughts?

Doug
MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:55 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Doug, it must have been as you described "out of alignment" they are working properly now. i have the same issue with my shift/throttle toggle switch. it only trims down. i have to use the trailer button to trim up. sure wish i had changed out the trim switches while doing the bellows. oh well, live and learn. let em know if you find a solution. i will research this as well. Thanks
broncostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:59 AM   #5
Lt. JG

My trim buttons are doing the same. I can trim up only with the trailer button and down works fine. I have the classic 3000 controls. I was hoping that I could just change out the switch in the handle.
surfbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:12 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfbeetle View Post
My trim buttons are doing the same. I can trim up only with the trailer button and down works fine. I have the classic 3000 controls. I was hoping that I could just change out the switch in the handle.
The issue is a bad trim limit switch that's on the side of the gimbal ring, common for the wires to break over time. Best to wait until it's time to replace the bellows as most of the gimbal assembly needs to be dismantled to replace it.

Mike
Old 07-25-2019, 08:17 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

I agree with Mike. Once I got started on my spring outdrive project I found a broken wire on the trim limit switch. BUt, to replace the switch you have to push new wires through the transom. Take extra care and follow the manual when completing those steps. The job is pretty easy once you get drive, gimble housing and ring out of the way.
MoonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:30 PM   #8
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRiver View Post
I agree with Mike. Once I got started on my spring outdrive project I found a broken wire on the trim limit switch. BUt, to replace the switch you have to push new wires through the transom. Take extra care and follow the manual when completing those steps. The job is pretty easy once you get drive, gimble housing and ring out of the way.
What manual are you referring to? I'd was thinking today that I should look online for a manual. Is there one that is preferred? Thanks
Old 07-25-2019, 11:59 PM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
What manual are you referring to? I'd was thinking today that I should look online for a manual. Is there one that is preferred? Thanks
Mercruiser manual #14 which can be found under Documents of this site.

Mike
Old 07-26-2019, 01:53 AM   #10
Lt. JG

Thank you!
Old 11-04-2019, 01:11 AM   #11
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
The issue is a bad trim limit switch that's on the side of the gimbal ring, common for the wires to break over time. Best to wait until it's time to replace the bellows as most of the gimbal assembly needs to be dismantled to replace it.
Yesterday I took the boat out, I hosed it down and I know I got the throttle lever wet. When using the boat, I noticed at one point it would work up and down with the thumb switch. I didn’t have to use the trailer button for up. Is that still a symptom of the limit switch?
Old 11-04-2019, 01:38 AM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Yesterday I took the boat out, I hosed it down and I know I got the throttle lever wet. When using the boat, I noticed at one point it would work up and down with the thumb switch. I didn’t have to use the trailer button for up. Is that still a symptom of the limit switch?
Typical the trim limit switch fails and just never works again but sometimes they are just finicky.

Mike
Old 11-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #13

Quote:
This sounds more like it might be the solenoid. One thing to try, the next time it doesn't work, hit the switch 20-30 times in succession as fast as you can. If all of a sudden it either starts working again, or occasionally works, it is more than likely the solenoid.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:12 PM   #14
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
This sounds more like it might be the solenoid. One thing to try, the next time it doesn't work, hit the switch 20-30 times in succession as fast as you can. If all of a sudden it either starts working again, or occasionally works, it is more than likely the solenoid.
See post #5 where he stated that trim up worked only by using the trailer button. This would say the solenoid is good but the trim limit switch is the issue. His last post is now saying it's interment so going on post #5 I'm thinking the trim limit switch is still the issue but some actual diagnostics with a volt meter is required.

Mike
Old 11-04-2019, 10:19 PM   #15
Lt. JG

Thank you. I'll start testing with the volt meter.