Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Speedometer not working

Took the boat out yesterday and the speedometer was not working. Worked last time we took it out, about two weeks ago. Checked the connection on the back of the speedometer and on the lower unit, the hole is also not plugged. Any help would be great. I was really impressed cause it was right on the money for calibration against the GPS.

This is on a 2001 2300SC.

Thanks in advance,
Shep

Old 07-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Lt. Commander

Default Re: Speedometer not working

The hole in the lower unit is deeper than you may think. Try an 1/8 (i think) drill bit and turn it in by hand to clean out the hole. I had the same problem last summer and found dried weeds in the hole. (it looked fine to the eye. when I cleaned it you could see the weeds come out and then some water)

Old 08-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Default Re: Speedometer not working

Hi
You could disconnect the hose on the outside of the drive by the transom and try putting air pressure in the hole you think might be plugged, this way the pressure will release in the open air and not to your speedometer. If you put to much pressure to the speedometer it will mess it up pretty bad ( been there).If you find that the tubing through the drive is clear then I would disconnect the hose at the back of the speedometer and blow air through that part of the hose. Remember you only need low air pressure around 30 PSI not 120PSI to do the trick, if you don't have air pressure use a garden hose. If all is clear then you need a speedometer.
Cheers
Paul