Old 04-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default quicksilver premium vs high performance????

Greetings everyone. New here, but I have had my 99 Maxum 1900 sr for several years. I have always paid to have it serviced and repaired but as of late I am not real trusting with our local service shops. I didn't use the boat much last year and only put a few hours on it. Regardless I am going to change the fluids myself. I purchased quicksilver high performance gear lube online for the drive and noticed that the local shop sells premium. I know that they shouldn't be mixed, but what is the difference? Are they interchangeable and will the high performance be ok in my alpha one drive (5.0)?

dsbunton646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome to the zoo.....the A1G2 drive is pretty robust and will be ok with adding or mixing the gear lube oils....it's not general to do that...but it's ok..won't hurt anything for sure....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

I'm going to change the gear lube alltogether so I won't be mixing them. I just wanted to be sure that I was ok using the High performance over the premium. I couldn't fiind anything that stated to use one over the other but wanted be sure.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:05 AM   #4
Admiral

The Premiun lube is for outboards.........the High Performance is for outdrives. I would not mix the different lubes. The alpha drives should have the High Performance lube in them.

Follow your manual instructions with draining your outdrives every fall. It is a very easy task to do this. Your wonder why you paid some much money to get this done by a stranger!

Save alot of $$$$$ and buy a 5 gallon bucket of High Performance lube.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
The Premiun lube is for outboards.........the High Performance is for outdrives. I would not mix the different lubes. The alpha drives should have the High Performance lube in them.

Follow your manual instructions with draining your outdrives every fall. It is a very easy task to do this. Your wonder why you paid some much money to get this done by a stranger!

Save alot of $$$$$ and buy a 5 gallon bucket of High Performance lube.

Roger
Great! That is what I needed to know. Thanks for the help. I didn't get the manual with the boat when I bought it and just never picked one up. I know how to change the lube, just wanted to make sure I was replaceing it with the right stuff. Thanks again.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Admiral

Thanks Roger....I didn't know that about the lube oil.....

you can get your HIN number off the stern/stbd side of the transom and contact USBOATS and they will end you a manual for your boat...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

Well, I changed the drive lube today some have some concerns. The old lube smelled pretty bad, like it was burned. Made me wonder if A) I even got the service I paid for last year or B) I have some issues internally. The lube was darker and more of a gray color. The reservoir bottle was also very dark and had sludge in the bottom of it with small flakes of what appeared to be metal. Now a about two summers ago I had the lower end rebuilt after a bad failure when the lube pushed out the top of the resevoir. I'm not sure if it was ever properly cleaned by the mechanic or not. Today, I removed and cleaned it during the lube change. There was some very fine glitter type specs in the lube and I suspect those would be fine due to normal wear, but there were also some bigger pieces of metal on the magnetic drain plug. At this point, I need some advice. I went ahead and flushed the unit with lube and then refilled it thinking I would run it briefly and then drain and recheck it. What do you think? Should I do that or Just take it somewhere and have it looked at. I ran it two weekends ago very briefly to check for any issues and it seemed fine. Keep in mind that I did not put many hours on it since the last service, but it has been a year of sitting (not in water).
Old 04-03-2011, 02:36 AM   #8
Admiral

The shaving that you see should be on your bottom plug that is magnetic. That is normal. See anything else you might have a problem. The color of the lube is a dark green. You pump the lube thought the bottom hole and wait for it to come out the top vent hole. Then top of your reservoir bottle. You are running this with rabbit ears and water right?

Yes I would run the engine and drive for a few minutes and drain one more time. Any sort of other color than dark green from the lube oil and again you might have a problem. The burn smell if that is evident you have a problem also.

IMHO I would stay away from rebuilting and look into a remanufactured outdrive if you have too. You can pick-up from Mercury a remanufactured for under $1500.00 Lets hope not!

I hope this helps.........

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:49 AM   #9
Lt. Commander

It runs fine without issue, it just smelled bad like it was burnt. I did flush it with some new lube before I refilled it. I guess my question is should I take it to the water and actually run it for a few minutes under load and then rechange it to see if there are any more shavings or smells or discolorations that occur over a short period that would tell me there is a definite problem. Or just go ahead and take it to a mechanic and pay to have it looked at. What would cause the burnt smell/discoloration? Bearing going bad or lube just not changed soon enough? maybe running at high speeds too long????