Old 09-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Question Prop Questions??

When I bought my boat ( an 1989 2300 sc) it had 3 props with it Aluminum on the boat an aluminum for a spare and a ss prop. Ok, Now the problem was the one on the boat would only get me up to about 35mph, at full throttle. (Everything I read says I should be able to get up to about 43mph to 45mph)
Not knowing what the props I have are Dia. Pitch or make I ordered 2 new props.
The first is an Michigan wheel vortex, 15 x 16,
The second is a Turning Point Hustler , 14 1/4 x 17
Has anyone used either of these props and any comments or recommendations on props.

bka56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
Admiral

well..what are the other props sizes you have??.....the michigan wheel vortex has been rated as a pretty good prop...the stainless steel one should be pretty hot..but what you need to look at is where is your WOT at with each prop...this will indicate proper pitch and rpm range..your engine should top out between 4200-4800 rpm depending on what your manual states..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #3

What is the powerplant you're running in the boat? The rule of thumb should be to first look at the Max RPM of the engine, not the top speed. The max RPM is usually in a range. Then get the boat at WOT, trimmed properly and see what you're actually getting for Max. RPM. you can play with raising tabs up and trim up until you can max. the RPM. Compare that to the manufacturers published max rpm range. If you're within the Max. RPM range you're good. If you exceede the max rpm range, you're under propped and if you're under the max. rpm range, you're overpropped.

Personally, I would try to work with a local prop shop. If you explain what you're trying to do, they will usually lend you a couple of sizes to try, then yo ucan buy teh one that works best. There are also prop calculators out on the mercruiser sight which should help narrow things down as well.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propell...-choose/pitch/

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/prop-selector/#

I know I didn't directly address your quesstion, but I hope this helps.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Mercury's prop selector goes as high as 15 x 17 (3 blade aluminum). Turning Points goes as high as 14.25 x 23 (3 blade aluminum). I was going to try out The Michigan Wheel 4 blade 15 x 16 this weekend if weather and water conditions permits.
power plant is a Mercuriser 5.0L , Alpha 1 (1.47) Is there that big a difference in manufactures?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Lt. JG

I went out and ran the Michgan wheel 4 x 15 x16 top speed at 4200 rpm was 35mph. So now I'm going to order a Turning point 3x 14.25x 23 I'll post the results after I get it in the water.