Old 05-16-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Ok everybody, REPLACE YOUR IMPELLER!!

Took my boat out for it's maiden voyage today and i paid dearly for failing to replace the impeller as I knew i should. I bought it over the winter and assumed it was good. So everybody out there thinking they may just run it one more year, dont. replace it!! I just about burnt mine down today inside of 5 min from the dock.

All turned out ok and damage is minimal, but it could have been worse for sure. So now youve been warned

Nick

njones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Admiral

thanks for the post ..this should be the second thing done during recommisioning....oil changing being the first...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

I got an entire new out drive last fall due to a freaking log in the river..... Are you saying the impeller should be replaced annually? If not, what is the recommended interval?
Thanks
Old 05-16-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Lt. JG

Hey Radride did get you get those exhaust finished? Got a sound clip yet?
Happy Boating,
WR
Whiskey River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:34 AM   #5
Lt. Commander

LOL, yes I did and I LOVE IT! My camcorder's fire wire port crapped out. I had some video but couldn't transfer it to the computer for uploading...... Anyway, new one is here in hand. My birthday is the 21st so I'm taking it off and going camping (and boating) with the boys. I'm going to get some new video idling and running wide open. Should have it on here Sunday or Monday. Sorry for the delay.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
Lieutenant

All I can say on the interval.... I just washed the fire extinguisher powder out of my engine bay where my rubber exhaust bellows burnt off. All happening within 5 min of leaving dock. My temp gauge actually showed a sudden decline in temp due to lack of coolant water for it to read. Next thing I know, smoke is rolling. Picture all of that happening with my wife and 2yo aboard and that should be inspiration enough to go ahead and swap it annually

and while i'm preaching, i pulled the pin on my fire extinguisher and pulled the trigger to nothing happening. It reads 100% but nothing. I've come to realize all of the rules and regulations of boating are there for a reason. My vessel is required to have two. I only had one. Luckily another couple was following us and was able to toss me one. So check ur extinguishers as well!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #7
Admiral

the impeller on a a1g2 drive is really cheap..I think they run about 25 bucks.....it takes an hr to drop the drive...replace the impeller and replace the drive....now lets see....peace of mind for a whole yr.....not having to replace the boots...flapper valve....impeller and possibly do more damage....priceless.....
what I'm trying to say is for the price...it's cheap insurance......for B3 drives it's every 300 hrs....reguardless ...at 300 hrs....change them out...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 05-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Similar to changing oil and air filters, there are variables that should help determine when you should change the impeller. The vanes are made of rubber so age, hours, and heat (insufficent water into the drive) are obvious, how frequently sand or mud or other junk gets ingested, etc.

We bought our 2004 model year boat last summer. Though it had only 74 hours of run time on it, it was 5 years old at that point. We ran it all last summer and had zero problems. However, I had no idea if the impeller had ever been replaced (was betting that with only 74 hours it had not) so decided to have it replaced this past April. The impeller that came out looked just fine; no deterioration of the vanes or housing, and the vanes were still pliable. If a new impeller wasn't available I wouldn't have hesitated to run that one again.

Not likely that I'll be replacing it next season, perhaps not the season after either.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
Similar to changing oil and air filters, there are variables that should help determine when you should change the impeller. The vanes are made of rubber so age, hours, and heat (insufficent water into the drive) are obvious, how frequently sand or mud or other junk gets ingested, etc.

We bought our 2004 model year boat last summer. Though it had only 74 hours of run time on it, it was 5 years old at that point. We ran it all last summer and had zero problems. However, I had no idea if the impeller had ever been replaced (was betting that with only 74 hours it had not) so decided to have it replaced this past April. The impeller that came out looked just fine; no deterioration of the vanes or housing, and the vanes were still pliable. If a new impeller wasn't available I wouldn't have hesitated to run that one again.

Not likely that I'll be replacing it next season, perhaps not the season after either.
I used to feel the same way as we have a 98' Mariah that we bought with 30 hours on it. Has 140 hours now and still the original impeller without ever having a issue. I've just seen the carnage caused by failure and deem it worth changing no matter what from now on.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
Admiral

Certainly no argument that it's a good idea to do, just don't like parting with the hundreds of dollars necessary to have mine changed when it doesn't need to be.

Of course, this is the position of a man who's never had one fail, so my opinion will likely change if that ever happens!
Old 05-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneradride View Post
LOL, yes I did and I LOVE IT! My camcorder's fire wire port crapped out. I had some video but couldn't transfer it to the computer for uploading...... Anyway, new one is here in hand. My birthday is the 21st so I'm taking it off and going camping (and boating) with the boys. I'm going to get some new video idling and running wide open. Should have it on here Sunday or Monday. Sorry for the delay.
Well Happy early Birthday, mine is the 23rd.....can't wait to hear her so I can tell the wife "I told you I should have put transom exhaust on when replacing the engine last year". "just listen to that thing"
WR
Whiskey River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #12
Lt. JG

I guess I should change my impeller before I go out next weekend. Since my boat is in the water and I have a B3 drive with the pump on the side of the engine, I wonder if I can pull it without getting flooded with water. I guess I can check to see if it is above water level once I get there but I was hopeing someone would know. SP, your last boat was like mine, do you know?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
Admiral

If the supply hose leading to the pump is above water line you can, if it isn't - well, no. Very likely that it isn't above.

If below the water line just be prepared to plug something into the hose when you pull it. Worse that'll happen is you get some water into the bilge until you plug the hose. If you have something you can use to crimp the hose that will slow the water to a trickle until you plug it. Anything that's the just a bit larger than the diameter of the hose will work, but tapered wooden boat plugs would be perfect, like these: http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/brow...06/4,7368.html

Dan
Old 05-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #14
Admiral

when you pull the water hose..water will shoot out....but lifting the end will stop it..have a bungie or rope handy to tie it up and out of the way while you go after the next one...do the same thing....you might get wet some but it won't be much water...then remove the fan belt and water pump for repair....when replacing the hoses ..you can crimp them with vice grips to keep water from flowing while you shoot some wd 40 into the hose end and slip it on...don't forget the double clamps....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 05-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
Ensign

I am in the process of changing my impeller and seals. Right this minute. Here is my question: With the gear housing off sitting on a stand, is the bearing at the top of the driveshaft in a "rest" condition, I seem to have a lot of end play(vertical) movement. I heard a ringing sound last week, not sure what to do, the marina is closed today. Thanks
Indymek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #16
Admiral

there is a little end play for sure..but I don't know the runout spec's of the shaft......you could contact the local marina or merc repair ctr and find out what the runout spec is...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 05-24-2010, 02:49 AM   #17
Lieutenant

Simple question from the inexperienced......I have a 2006 350 Mag/B3 with a seawater pump attached to the engine. It is my understanding that there is no pump in the drive, just the engine mounted one. What are the maintenance requirements of this type of pump?
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #18
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by capav8r View Post
Simple question from the inexperienced......I have a 2006 350 Mag/B3 with a seawater pump attached to the engine. It is my understanding that there is no pump in the drive, just the engine mounted one. What are the maintenance requirements of this type of pump?
Correct, the RWP is mounted on the side of the engine, not in the drive.

I believe Merc suggests replacing the impeller at/every 300 hundred hours/2 years.

Dan
Old 05-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #19
Admiral

for B3 drive, Factory recommendation is every 300 hrs..the parts aren't all that expensive but the man hrs to get them out and back in gets rather pricie.....

I've had b3 drives for about the last 5 yrs...they are awesome drives but the impeller is the weak link....if the pump goes out..it will run about 150 bucks for the pump plus labor....

depending on where the pump is located and access to them...it can get quite pricey to replace....

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 09-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #20
Ensign

Cheap insurance. rebuilt engines never run as good a originals anyway. If you leave your boat over the winter the rubber vanes that are over the pickup will have a perminate bend to them. I have a collection, they are all useable but I change it every year any way $25.

Eteamer is offline   Reply With Quote