Old 10-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Oil Change Pump

Thought I would share my home made oil pump. After looking on the internet for a pump and realized it would be about a 100$ for something that would work, I headed to my work shop and started scrounging around for ideas. Things I found.
1. Shop vac
2. Plastic bucket & lid
3. PVC garden hose end (female)
4. A few feet of 3/8 fuel line
The PVC end fits the threads on the top of the dip stick. Make sure when you make your holes in the lid they are air tight when you insert the vac hose end and the 3/8 line. All connections need to be air tight for this to work well. Pump the oil out when its hot, I placed the bucket down in front of the motor, And the shop vac up on the deck.I let it run about 15 min. How long it takes will depend a lot on your shop vac. Hope someone finds this usefull. I posted some pics in my gallery.[/list][/list]

Old 10-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Admiral

sounds like it works!!....I just went to the local boat shop and got an oil bouy....I have the drain that goes out the butt plug and is attached to the hose...warm the engine up some and attach to the drain..then start pumping...once it sucks air..I'm done..replace the filter...put in fresh..start up the engine to check for leaks....badabing!!..I'm done!!...cost was only about 50 bucks for the oil bouy!!...I recommend them for the doityersefer!!

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Ensign

I looked at the tempo oil boy but looks like its unavailible or out of stock now but still about a 100$. Im thinking next oil change of installing a fitting and line to the drain plug of the oil pan. They run about 20$, I assume you can run the line out the aft transum drain. For those of us who trailer this would seem like the better set up. Any one have this? Pros or Cons.