Old 05-20-2019, 06:00 AM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default Ladder replacement

Hey everybody, been doing a ton of work to the boat and thought I would share my favourite upgrade so far, after much searching I gave up on trying to fix my busted 2 step boarding ladder, the slide mount broke and found the bottom of the lake at the end of last season so, I bought a simple 4 step top of platform mount ladder. I then managed to get the ladder cover off without breaking it and cleaned everything up and installed the new ladder and I have a stainless steel piano hinge for the original cover to allow to flip the new ladder out and then close the lid to provide the cleanest look with functionality that I could get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000, 2100SR 5.7 Alpha 1 Gen 2
Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
Ensign

So this is awesome and I was just wondering the process/parts you used? I'm in the same boat (pun intended) where I don't have a ladder and have been scouring high and low to find a replacement but it seems that it is just easier to do something like this. I appreciate any help on this as I am fairly new to ownership and want to make sure it comes out clean. Thanks!

RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #3
Lt. Commander

Ya Iím really happy with how it all turned out. The cover plate was held down with 4 screws coming up from the bottom and sealant, I was able to pry the cover off very carefully without damaging the actual boat by using a hack saw blade to cut the sealant and screws between the mating surface......very time consuming. I coiluld not reach the screws underside without tearing 1/2 the boat apart.

Once off I sanded the remaining sealant and drilled out the remaining screw pieces and filled the holes with sealant.

I bought a standard 4 step over the platform ladder and lined up and drilled the 4 holes in the mounting location. Then built a reinforcement plate out of marine plywood with holes in it sandwiched between the underside of the platform and 2 strips of aluminum for strength. Then using all stainless bolts, fender washers, and stover nuts. Clamped it all together with sealant to keep the water away. You need extra hands and lots of patience to get it all together due to the poor access but all in all not a huge job.

After, which is not in the pictures, I cleaned up the original cover and used 2 stainless hinges and screws to secure the cover. Now you flip the cover open and flip the ladder in the lake then you can close the cover to give you the full swim platform again.

Hope this is clear enough...I will attempt to jamb my phone into the engine bay behind the trim pump to get some pictures of the underside this weekend so you can see how I did the support for the underside. It was definitely over engineered but I never want to do it again so....

Old 08-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for all the info on this. I assume to get access to underside where the ladder attaches is in the engine bay? I didnt see any other access points other than that area but wow is that a reach/cramped. I still have the old ladder sliders on my boat and I'm assuming their is some type of nut on the underside/inside that holds it down.

I appreciate any more insight on this as I'm fairly new to boating and don't want to do something that leaves a hole or damages anything.
RedLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

There were nuts you bet, I took a slightly different approach and broke the plastics sliders apart with a special breaking tool (a hammer and a screwdriver ) and then cut the bolts and retrieved the bottom half out of the bulge after.

You are correct that the only access is from the engine bay behind the trim pump. It is not a nice fit but building the clamp down using a piece of flat aluminum and gluing washers and nuts to it then leaving it to set overnight you can just reach and it holds together while you get the bolts started from the top side (2 man job, skinny guy inside the boat) then a long handled ratchet and socket (I used my torque wrench as it had a long handle) you tighten it all down one at a time.