Old 07-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #21
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

JS,

Don't think I caught what year boat and which engine you have. Also, If I am reading correctly you are saying the engine always CRANKS (turns over), but sometimes it will crank but it won't START. If you could describe the symptom specifically and in detail that would help. If it does ALWAYS crank, here's a couple of guesses.

Could be the starter solenoid. When you turn the key to the "Start" position two things happen. 1) The solenoid engages the gear from the starter motor to the engine flywheel and begins to crank the engine. 2) The solenoid on the starter supplies 12V to the ignition system. If the solenoid is not supplying 12V to the ignition system - engine will crank but won't start.

Could be the ignition module, which is probably inside the distributor cap. With age/vibration and heat/cool cycles the circuitry inside the ignition module can exhibit all sorts of strange things.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:17 AM   #22
Ensign

Thanks for the replies.
How can I trouble shoot these two things? I am novice.

I have a 92 Eddie Bauer 1900Sr
I believe its the 230 horsepower 5.0L Merc

I am taking family from out of town out and do not want to be stuck..

Thanks

Jet_Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #23
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

JS, as I suggested above you're gonna need to help us help you by describing the symptoms, exactly, when the no start occurs. Engine cold or hot, engine cranks but doesn't start, engine doesn't even crank, etc-etc.

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:03 AM   #24
Ensign

I had this same problem this past summer of the boat not starting on a fully charged battery after starting it at the dock and cruising. I would turn the boat off for a bit and it would not start.

I have a master switch at the battery that turns everything off. The boat still does not start and the battery would drain. Would the starter solenoid cause the battery to drain fast?

I am getting frustrated with this boat. I took it to mechanic and they cant find anything wrong so they put on the master battery switch. I will mention to them to test the starter solenoid next time.
Jet_Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #25
Admiral

Jet_Speed this is a rather old thread and I suggest you start a new one for your problem.

Not sure I am following yopu but I believe you are saying the battery is discharging over a short period of time when the engine is off, correct? Does have the battery switch turn off prevent this from happening?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote