Old 06-19-2008, 11:05 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Hydrofoil for 2005 Maxum 2400SR3

Great website with lots of very useful information!

Last fall, I bought a new 2005 Maxum 2400SR3 (overstock) that has a 5.OL Alpha I 220HP engine. While I really like the boat overall, the hole shot performance /planing time is terrible. I purchased a stainless steel propeller this spring hoping it would offer some improvement however it hasn't in terms of holeshot performance and planing time. Before incurring the cost of having trim tabs installed, I wanted to first explore the possibility of installing a hydrofoil which is considerably cheaper. If anyone has installed a hydrofoil on this model/year of boat, I would greatly appreciate if you could tell me if it improved holeshot performance and planing time. Any recommedations on a specific brand/type of hydrofoil would be greatly appreciated as well.

Many thanks from Cincinnati!

CincyMaxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
Admiral

Cincy....welcome to the zoo..your not the first to have thought of that for a fix...although it works for smaller boats in the 20 ft. class....but larger 24 boats are too heavy to make this work without possible damage to the cavitation plate....so..question.??...your boat didn't come with trim tabs??

personally ...if it were me....I'd put in trim tabs and be able to adjust them individually and for load leveling.....just my opinion...I used to own a boat similar in the bayliner side and believe me..it was a pig getting up on plane....same engine..same drive....was the same way ....hard to plane....I'd not put the hydrofoil on since 1) if in salt water..it will cause alot of corrosion to the cavitation plate.....2)cause alot of stress on the cavitation plate and could crack it....some found it wasn't all it was cracked up to be on a bigger boat like yours...

here's a few things to check....make sure the boat's load is distributed properly...heavy stuff low and near the bow....then try it with the drive all the way down....bring the throttle up smartly and back off as it approaches about 4k rpm....make sure the engine is properly tuned....insure the hull is clean.....

hope others chime in for more information..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Seapuppy for the feedback.
CincyMaxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
Admiral

you might need to change to a different pitched prop....I went from a 4 bladed 15x21 prop...it wouldn't plane to save my life....but changed to an al. 15x21 3 bladed prop called a big eared prop...it was easily 25% bigger blades.......that worked alot better...but I understand from another boating buddy that went to a stainless steel prop and that cured the problem....same boat..engine/drive combo...
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote