Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #21
Lieutenant

Snubby flat blade screwdriver or at least a shorter handled one. Tap it in firmly and it should come out. Not an uncommon problem. I replace them every year(even though I don't always winterize-heated garage) just for this reason.

www.vikingbay.co
Nehalennia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #22
Admiral

Mac, pretty common problem. As Todd said snubby flat blade screw driver or an easy out. Need to be careful as the mating is also plastic. I have replaced the 2 elbow/drains on my exhaust manifolds with brass ones. I had too remove the manifolds to do this as the plastic elbow just riped off flush when trying to remove them. The brass ones cost twice the OEM, not bad for never having to worry about it again. I ordered mine from e-basic marine.

Which location did yours break off of?

5 sounds right: 2 on manifolds, 2 on block, 1 on power steering cooler. My raw water pump doesn't have one, I have seen that the newer ones do. But since you have an alpha your raw water pump is in the drive anyway.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:42 AM   #23
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Mac, pretty common problem. As Todd said snubby flat blade screw driver or an easy out. Need to be careful as the mating is also plastic. I have replaced the 2 elbow/drains on my exhaust manifolds with brass ones. I had too remove the manifolds to do this as the plastic elbow just riped off flush when trying to remove them. The brass ones cost twice the OEM, not bad for never having to worry about it again. I ordered mine from e-basic marine.

Which location did yours break off of?

5 sounds right: 2 on manifolds, 2 on block, 1 on power steering cooler. My raw water pump doesn't have one, I have seen that the newer ones do. But since you have an alpha your raw water pump is in the drive anyway.

Thanks for the info. Thats all the plugs that I see that you mentioned.

The plug broke off in one of my manifolds like you said. On the drivers side. Hardly any room to get in there with anything. Hopefully i can get that out without hurting anything! Thanks!
maczilla23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #24
Admiral

Here's a link to the elbow drains I put on my boat

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/BARMC-50-806926/MER9C

Mike
Old 09-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #25
Lt. JG

Ok I got my new plug. This weekend im going to try to get that broken one out. Hopefully it doesnt give me to much trouble!

Also got my winterizing kit shown in the link in this thread and 4 gallons of the environmentally safe anti freeze. Just waiting on fogging oil and im ready to finish her up!

Just to be sure, might be a stupid question, the thermo housing is on the front top of the motor where the hoses are hooked to correct?

Thanks again for all the help! You guys are a life saver!

Corrie
Old 09-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #26
Admiral

Correct. Depending on set up should have either 4 or 6 hoses. Newer set ups have 4, raw water in, t-stat to circulating water pump (fat one), and 2 that go to each exhaust manifold. Older is the same as newer but has 2 more hoses that go the the elbows (sometimes called risers).

Mike
Old 09-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #27
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Correct. Depending on set up should have either 4 or 6 hoses. Newer set ups have 4, raw water in, t-stat to circulating water pump (fat one), and 2 that go to each exhaust manifold. Older is the same as newer but has 2 more hoses that go the the elbows (sometimes called risers).
Ya I have 4. So I should pour anti freeze in all 4?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
Old 09-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #28
Admiral

Corrie ...take the thermo housing off to pour anti-freeze into the block. Don't know what brand of fogging spray you use but you might give Marvel mystery oil a try. It works great and is highly recomended by the boating experts. I have used it for many years with great results.

Good luck

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #29
Admiral

Yes all 4. Since you plan to use the flush kit no need to remove t-stat housing and add anti-freeze there, but if not using kit do so.

Note: the kit hold 5 gallons. If you are pouring 1 gallon between the 4 hoses then only 3 gallons left, not much should have at least 4 gallons in kit to ensure you don't run dry and damage the raw water pump. If you don't want to buy more anti-freeze then drain block and add it directly to engine by removing t-stat housing to ensure block is full of anti-freeze.

Mike
Old 09-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #30
Admiral

My bad:-)

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:16 AM   #31
Lt. JG

Well everyone, I got the plug out. Was pretty dang easy actually. Also I pulled all the hoses, pulled the 6 off of the Thermo housing. Thought I had 4 but I actually had 6! Pour a bit more then a gallon shared amongst all of the hoses. Filled the kit up with 4 gallons and started it up. Waited tell its started coming out pretty heavily and sprayed the fogging oil in the carb and cut the engine. Buttoned her all up and put a tender on the batteries.

Just wanted to say that I appreciate all of you for your help. That kit worked great. Good investment! All of your help was very much appreciated! Thanks a ton!

Corrie
Old 09-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #32
Admiral

Great news Corrie! Looks like you are leading the sad march here on putting the boats to bed for the winter.

Now on to surviving the winter while dreaming of spring

Mike