Old 10-07-2015, 03:57 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default How store boat outside during the winter

This season is my first year storing my boat outside during the winter. I live in the Midwest and my 3000SCR will be stored outside and shrink wrapped. I'm concerned about having a musty smell in the spring. Do you leave the cabin door open or leave any port windows open for ventilation. I was planning on keeping it all closed up and placing several tubs of damp rid inside the cabin. Any tips?

Tomd8950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
Lt. Commander

Here's a link that will help - The Boater's Guide To Winterizing - Seaworthy - BoatUS
There's tons more if you "google".

Mine was shrink wrapped yesterday ready for winter. Just before the workers started on her -
- I removed all the canvas for annual cleaning and Sunbrella / 303 treatment.
- I then made sure that all my salon benches / cushions etc were put on end so they get air circulation over the winter
- Then I opened a box of Bounce (or whatever is on sale) dryer sheets and spread them all 'round the salon, galley, head, and sleeping cabin. These sheets can also be used in the cockpit area. They are a pest preventative as well as keeping your interior smelling nice. Next spring it will smell like a Barkerville whorehouse (if you're from British Columbia you are chuckling eh?)
- Use the damp rid tubs (at least 4 or 5 of them) placed in different areas down below. Walmart has an excellent unit that holds a huge amount of calcium chloride and has a good size water reservoir. Any RV store also has them.
- I have been advised to never leave any port lights open over the winter storage months. I also leave the cabin door unlocked so in the event of a break-in, there is no damage to the door or locking system.

Hope this might help - sounds like you're on the right track!

jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
Admiral

Along with what Jim said be sure to remove all food, and personal items such as towels and cloths that may put out an odor.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
Admiral

Tom I am about 160 miles south of you on the Illinois river in the Peoria area. I also shrink wrap our 3000 and this is what I do.

First are you near an electrical outlet? I run a 50 foot extension from the marina building out to my boat and hook it up too my charger side on the shorepower . If so I leave my batteries in the boat. About every 30 or 40 days I will charge them using the boats charging system. Again about everything the others have said goes.

I will use bounce sheets and place them all over the boat. Inside the cabin and out into cockpit area. They have different smells you can buy to your liking and I have been told animals do not care for the smell. So that is a win win there.

You can use your damp rid but if the shrink wrap is vented properly ( I have six vents on our 3000 ) you shouldn't need it.

I also will get mice sticky pads and place them all over too. I even put them in the engine compartment too!

Again make sure you have all foods removed and anything that will freeze off the boat. Go over and wipe down all your hard surfaces with a house cleaner spray. I leave the bed cover on, just run it though the dryer in the spring.

I do close everything up and lock the cabin door too.

That is about it....

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
Lt. JG

Thanks everyone for the great advise!
Tomd8950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:40 AM   #6
Lt. JG

Send a message via AIM to M.T. Pockets Send a message via MSN to M.T. Pockets

I stick Steel Wool in all outside drain holes and any other openings , the mice won't touch it.
M.T. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #7
Lt. Commander

+1. Have done that for decades, and it works. Little beggars can't chew through steel.

jimq26 is offline   Reply With Quote