Old 11-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Captain

Default HoBo Yacht'er and his magical blue tarp

So, to un-shrink wrap and save the $500 this is my 2nd year for old blue, and a 100' cord.

Note the jug attached to the bow, this is tie to a tarp hole, and then routed into the hand rail and over the deck, to act as a water scupper.

The foward deck of the 2000 is bulbus that it makes a natural drain, and when the sun comes out it flaps in the breeze again.

So what's your fancy white plastic doing that my old blue is not?

pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #2

How does the water get out of the 'hot tub' up on the bow? does it force water to drain onto the deck and then over the sides? Doesn't this eventually freeze up on the bow and leave a giant icicle running down the boat to the ground? To answer your question, white shrink wrap let's in light, while a tarp typically requires internal lighting. The white wrap doesn't let in water and doesn't pool water which freezes. just a thought. BTW_ I don't think anyone has contended that a tarp doesn't work. Many people use them with success. I had pooling problems the one year I used a tarp. I had to rig lights to work at night. and it rattled like a freight train in the wind. That is my humble opinion.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
Captain

joh pascavone

what white plastic is doing????......it makes dollars run out of your pocket very fast......by the way nice colour, that bleu........

i have a nylon breathing winter cover over my 2400 sc3, price.....200 dollar, thirth season works fine.....

something like this only bigger and wider.....and cheaper....hahahaha

http://www.funmaxxwebshop.nl/?menu=a...cleID=13812678

greatz, ed
ed & inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Captain

actually, i turn on the cabin heater, and the whole thing heats up, and I go ballooning all winter...... why my wind less is 500ft long.....

That gallon jug of aniti freeze just holds her down, like the Hindenburg.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Admiral

Another humble opinion..............I'm with you shrew........he almost needs a drain installed up there at the bow when the water or ice will settle.

To each his own and if pascavone has done this before well............it must work!

Pascavone have you ever thought of making a frame that would go from the windshield to the bow then put your cover over that? Atleast the snow or rain would run off the bow. Just a thought.........
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Captain

notice the deep tarp black hole at the bow, this is actually a hole in the tarp tie to a rope which is tie to the gallon jug.

the whole foward deck is a scupper, and run the water down and out.

the whole frame building thing is just another item to get lose as sratch the deck..... less is more....
Old 11-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
Admiral

I see...............The big picture..........
Old 12-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
Captain

Ok, don't like to brag, but had to take "old blue" off so the boat could goto the shop..... took me 20 min to unlace the rope and fold it back up.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
Admiral

Hey Pas....I was meaning to ask how the heck you get your boat back into your backyard? That must be real convenient.

How is the coupler coming?
Roger
Old 12-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
Captain

you have a keen eye,

to maintain my cheap'ness, I pay the hauler to slide it into the yard.

The PVC fence, i cut the post and sleeved it and just assemble the slats twise a season.

Snug as a bug....

insurance company has paid to move the boat to a shop to have it checked out, so the coupler will be repaired at a shop.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
Lt. JG

I used tarp on my 2400 scr this winter.. what a pain in my ass it has been. Its coming off soon and staying off so I can buff it. You just cant use a tarp on a boat with no hardtop and a super long bow. My boat is right on the ocean block..it gets hit hardest with wind. The tarp is a mess. I would rather let snow and rain on it then have it get all chaffed.
NJSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Captain

commandment #11, thou shall no bad mouth the blue tarp..... I am, that I am!

True you need a radar arch to hold the shape, and lace the whole thing under the bottom of the boat to prevent any wind filling the sails.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #13
Lt. JG

Took mine off today.. heavy winds all night. Have some good cuts in the hull from the rope. Off it goes... forever!
NJSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #14

I know folks who have used nothing but green tarps for winter storage with great success. If done well and properly, it will work. IMHO, they do require more frequent inspection to ensure there is minimal flapping and build up of water, ice, snow etc. If done correctly, they should stand all winter. Now, that being said, I had a pond build up and freeze up on my bow. I went in 3 ways on a shrink wrapping gun and have had good luck with that as well. I wouldn't say there is a 'RIGHT' way. Only that whichever way works AND allows you to sleep at night is hte right way, as long as it gets covered. Obviously this is lost of the folks of AZ.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote