Old 07-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Help Diagnosing Top Side Water Ingress

Hi all,

I have two areas that I'm trying to chase down some water ingress. One, is around the curved, fixed lexan windows and the second, is along the port and stbd side windows that come off the windshield.

Here is where I'm at so far:

- water seems to run along centre bulk head where ceiling light is, near the port and stbd edges. I figured it was coming in through the Lexan fixed, curved, windows, particularly around the screws (observed). I applied new caulking around the windows, ensuring I overlapped the lexan and over to the gelcoat to cover the existing seals, as well as covering the screws. I also applied some waterproof tape to some small, but obvious cracks in the lexan. My intent is to pull the lexan windows in the fall and completely redo those opening. My current goal is to minimize water ingress. As part of applying new caulking top side, I have also caulked around the two hatches, all port holes and the base of the windshield. It does look like I reduced water ingress but still getting some. It seems to be coming in around the aft side of the stbd lexan window , so I'm wondering if it could be coming from higher up (windshield area or ?) and running along the headliner till it hits the bulk head and then pops out near the lexan windows.

- second area is along the port and stbd side windows that come off the main windshield. I've caulked along the bottom of the side windows and in the groove that runs up / down the aluminum windshield post. I'm still getting some water running down both sides.

I'm running out of areas to apply new caulking.

Any thoughts / advice would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Liam2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #2

What do you use for caulking?

Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #3
Ensign

I used 3M Marine 4000 and 4200. the only reason the two types was colour. One was white and the other black.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #4

Yes, can be from any screw. The one from the windshield from vibration can get lose or just the screw aloud to get water in. Every screw should have 3M on them.
Good idea, to go over everything what have screw. By remove apply 3M and screw back tight but not to tight. Watch don't strip the fiberglass threads.
Gugi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
Admiral

On a dry day use a hose and slowly wet spefic areas to help identify the source of the leak.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
Ensign

Thank you both.

I suspect the dry day and hose would be more efficient than sitting in the boat as it rains hoping to figure it out and I will continue to seal as many of the screws as I can find.

Tags
1990, 2700, 2755, scr, water leaks