Old 04-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Lt. Commander

Default grease, grease, and more grease?????

So, today I ordered about every quicksilver grease I could find. I still don't know which one goes where as the service manual I got is somewhat generic and lists the types of grease, but isn't clear on where they go. None the less I have them on the way, oh and don't get me started on trying to get the actual oil filter part number for the boat. i wound up just getting a Wix from from the auto parts store. Anyway, I digress. Best I can see, there are three zirks on the outdrive and I haven't climbed back inside the engine compartment yet, but I assume there is one on the backside in there as well. To keep it simple stupid for me, which grease goes to each of these? And please be specific it is a 1999 alpha 1 gen2 Maxum1900sr.

Thanks in advance, this sight has already been a life saver.

dsbunton646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
Admiral

Mercury or quicksilver (same people)grease for your out drives grease use u-joint and bearing grease. For your steering use 101 grease. You should find a zirk on the steering rod or just put on the shiny part with your fingers. Have someone turn the steer wheel to get all the it greased.

Difference formulas of grease for different apps. Also your throttle linkeage will need grease with 101. I have been told not to use wheel bearing grease on your outdrive. Different formula.

Buy a Clymers manual. It will show you everything.

And yes the K. I. S. S. theory is the way to go. Your a sailor now!

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
Admiral

well....for the past 11 yrs ...I've used the grease gun and grease recommended by merc....unfortunately I don't know the name of it....but it's used in the grease gun...it's purple looking or bluish....then as for the engine bay...there is a zirk fitting in the u-joint that needs to be greased....along with the 2 out on the drive which lubes the gimble bearing...then take some of that grease and smear it onto the prop shaft....

that's about all there is...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #4
Lt. Commander

Yeah I understood the different applications etc... so I bought the quicksilver 1)ujoint and gimbal bearing grease 2)engine coupler spline grease 3)24c grease and another one . Of the fittings on the outside of the the drive, which of these three do i use where? Which one on the prop shaft? I got real confused on which grease was for which fittings. Seems some folks just used the same one for all of it. I'm going to just buy a few more grease gunsa and label them so it will be much easier in the future. Even if this boat goes, probably will be another one after.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
Admiral

The number 2 spline grease is a thick green grease that is applied on the spline when you put the outdrive back together when fitting it back into the coupler. Use the U joint grease for the zirks on the outside of the outdrive and the 101 inside on the engine fitting. That was easy.........

Roger
Old 04-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
Lt. Commander

Roger,

Thank you! You are the man. That is what I needed.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Admiral

Just to add.........I spray the engine with WD-40 everyonce in a while for rust protection. If your in salt water it is a necessity.

Roger