Old 10-15-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Commander

Default Engine oil filter changing tip, here's mine.

For those who have a remote oil filter that's upside down, usually mounted towards the front part of the engine, here is my tip for not making such a mess when unscrewing the oil filter and getting oil all over the place. Get a small painter's pail or cup, just a bit larger than the filter itself. They are a buck or so at your home center. Loosen the oil filter, but dont break the seal. Then place the cup under and around the filter and spin the filter off. The oil and filter will fall in the cup nice and neat. Dispose of properly. The paper cups are easier to bend and get around the filter, but the plastic ones last longer,. If you spin it just enough, it wont splatter, and it will be enough of a spin to get it off in one shot. Good luck.

jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
Admiral

I appologize for this...but I don't get it...sorry.....mine is upside down too and on the front of the engine....so..what I do is get a bunch of those oil absorbers and basically wrap the underside of the mount...then I ctr punch the filter and hopefully it will drain back into the engine....if not..reach down and blow on the hole.....sometimes that works sometimes it don't....then give the filter a quick spin and keeping the absorbers around it..have a plastic bag close and open...drop the filter into the bag along with the absorbers...done...I can usually be fast enough to not drop any in the bilge......

I don't see how you can put anything under mine.....
a bit more splainin might help my confusion.....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:51 AM   #3
Admiral

For those of you that don't have a remote oil filter in front of your engine and instead it is an arms length all the way underneath your engine and in back........I use a empty round plastic gallon ice cream bucket to catch the oil and filter.......this does work like a charm and no mess...fits right underneath your oil pan.........plus you get to eat ice cream yum yum......

with a cherry on top!
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:11 AM   #4
Admiral

I'd have to eat 2 gals of ice cream.......

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
Admiral

You go right ahead.........Sorry steve but the admiral and I are way ahead of you there..............if you need some (buckets that is) we have a whole warehouse full. I'm set for atleast 10 years......:-)

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
Commander

Seapuppy, I should have been clearer. My oil filter is remote, its mounted on top/front of the motor, not underneath the engine. So for those that have this setup, the painters cup could help. I'll be doing my winterization soon, will try to snap some pics. The filter mount is up top, on top/front of the exhaust riser.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
Lieutenant

I'm with SP. My filter is on the port side up front right by the drive oil reservoir. Mounted with the open end pointing down. After everything us up to operating temperature, I shut it off and punch a few holes (one dead center and a couple more around the edge) in the top of the filter and let it sit for awhile so it drains. Then I spin it off and drop it in a coffee can. Never lose a drop.
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #8

I read this and thought "Odd, I posted something on this just the other day". I guess I must have timed out and didn't bother rewriting it. i'll try again. (BTW- This is by no means a "I have a better idea" competition. Just a different way of doing things. In this process, I don't spill a drop and only need about a 5" x5" square of absorbing pad and no bucket and no clean up when changing my oil filter.

This process is for a remote oil filter which is mounted upside down. By "Upside Down" I mean one where the threaded part of the filter is down and the rounded bottom of the filter is on top. This process is done AFTER the engine has been brought up to operating temperature and then shut down again.

1) Take the new oil filter and place it with the threaded side down on an oil aborbing pad.
2) Cut a square with about 1"-2" wider than the oil filter.
3) Use a razor blade or sharp knife to trace around the cicumference of the oil filter.
4) Pop out the round blank from inside the square cut piece of absorbing pad. Now it should be a square with a large round hole in it.
5) Slip the cut pad around the old oil filter and all the way to the metal base of the remote oil filter mount. (This will catch any spills).
6) Remove the Dipstick.
7) Remove the oil fill cap.
8) Take a flat head screw driver and punch a hole in the top of the old oil filter. This will release the pressure and allow the oil in the filter to drain into the engine. You'll have to wait a few minutes. I typically go grab a beer at this point.
9) Drain the oil. I use a pump and suck it out of the dipstick tube.
10) With a plastic zip lock ready, I remove the old oil filter and toss it into the bag. I saved the round blank I cut out to tidy up any oil runs.
11) remove the rubber gasket from the new oil filter.
12) Oil the gasket on the new oil filter and replace in on the new filter.
13) Install the new filter.
14) Fill the engine with new oil, short a bit less than 1 qt. (usually about 1/3 -/12 a quart short)
15) replace the dipstick and oil fill cap.
16) Run the engine and bring it up to temp.
17) Shut down the engine and wait 5 min. (Time for a another beer).
18) Check the oil and top off until full.

I'll try to take some pics of the process. This requires almost no oil absorbing pads, no buckets, and there are no spills, and almost no clean-up. I hope this helps.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote