Old 04-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #21
Admiral

I was out this weekend and the weather was outstanding...hi 70's saturday...water was like a pond on friday...a little snotty sunday...man...I sure hope the weather continues to improve!!.

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:36 AM   #22
Lt. Commander

Location: Commuting weekly from South Central Idaho. Got Water?

I got the boat back from the detail shop Friday. I will say that I feel very good with the amount I spent and the results. The shop specializes in detailing large trucks (semi rigs). They also pull in a few boats on the side. We purchased our 1995 Maxum early last summer. The previous owner had stored it outside with the mooring cover on. It had very little use but had some good 'fading' on the sides and foredeck. The shop 'wet sanded' and polished it to better than new. They machine/hand polished every inch of glass and then sealed the top and hull.

I've posted 'before and after' images in my gallery:

http://www.maxumownersclub.com/forum/ga ... temId=1403

I had planned to replace the graphics (they were removed by the shop) with my own vinyl versions, but it just looks too good. I'll design some examples and post a few 'what if' images for you all to vote on.

We still have crappy weather here. I do not plan any 'spring' outings.

Did I mention that it snowed 'AGAIN' today?

Enjoy,

"If you look like your passport photo, you probably need the trip"
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #23
Commander

It looks great!

MMSI# 338052622
tglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:36 PM   #24
Lt. Commander

Nice boat,nice truck,nice house do you take in lodgers
Old 04-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #25
Lt. Commander

Depends on if you do windows or not. Where in the great island do you currently reside? I'm not opposed to a 'house' swap for a few weeks.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #26
Lt. Commander

sorry max dont do windows you could probably fit my house in your garage
Old 04-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #27
Lt. Commander

Send a message via MSN to Brit Rider

Wow looks great! Definitely money well spent - it's a back breaking job to do yourself but the results are sweet. all the sweeter if you haven't had to put your own sweat into it
Old 04-24-2008, 01:55 AM   #28
Lt. JG

Default Buff and wax

Max,

I was thinking about not replacing the graphics on my XR1800 due to keeping the boat buffed out and waxing. I have put on my numbers for the state and I guess I will just wax over them. If you do make some letters and put them on your boat please tell us how they hold up over the year. I took the pictures of my boat in March after buffing and waxing and when I took it out in April to break in the new motor I had some spots where the haze was bad come back. When I buffed out the haze the first time I used some mild turtle wax rubbing compound and I did not get too ruff with it not knowing how the gel coat would hold up. I will buff the bad spots again, might try some new compound.
djsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:15 AM   #29
Lt. JG

Default Acrylic sealer

Has anyone used the acrylic sealer products? I was going to compound and then wax to restore the shine. There are allot of people talking about the good and bad things with using the acrylic sealer just don't know which is the best choice?

This was my first post, my understanding is that the acrylic sealer is almost the same as mop and glow floor wax and that it yellows and peels over time. Max I was wondering if the sealer that they used on your boat was the acrylic type? It looks great but I still would like to know how it holds up in the long term? Has anyone had it on there boat for a few years?
Old 04-24-2008, 03:23 AM   #30
Lt. Commander

Yes, the detailer used an acrylic sealer, as do most boat shops. The 'yellowing' that was experienced in the past was due to two factors: 1. lack of UV inhibitors in the sealer and 2. the errant use of 'non-boating' products (like JJ's wax). I have first hand seen many of the boats the shop has done in the past years and they have no problems.

As for your return of the 'haze', I experienced the same last season. I actually have a milk crate full of 'miracle' products all the way from rubbing compounds to '1 step' Maguires boat products. Only a couple of them gave good initial results, they all failed within a few weeks of exposure. The only way to get all of it out is to wet sand and polish back the luster with a good quality buffer (not a $30 Black and Decker special) and professional compounds.

Thus, my justification to let a pro handle the job and I'm very glad I did.

Send me an address and a prepaid FedEx coupon and I will send you all my 'snake oil' products. I need the shelf space for beer storage

Old 04-24-2008, 03:24 AM   #31
Lt. Commander

And yes, that was your original post. Sorry for sending it 'around' the horn a few times. 8)

Old 04-24-2008, 07:32 AM   #32
Lt. JG

Max,

Thanks for clearing that up, I have been looking around for a good product that would work and this is my first boat. I have time to mess around with the boat and find that buffing with the electric buffer and cold beer is not too bad. The main questions I have about the sealers are do you wax over the sealer to keep the shine? Do you have to buff or wet sand off the sealer in a few years or is there a stripper to take it off if it starts to look dull? Where I live there is only small boat dealers and they do not get into repair work so supplys are limited and the internet is the best place to find and order stuff. I'm sure that everyone that owns a fiberglass boat would like to have a quick and easy product and it would be nice to see over this year what worked and what was a waste of time. I would like to start this post at the end of the year again and see the before and after pictures from spring to fall with the pro's and con's of the fiberglass snake oil treatments that anyone uses on there boats. Learning from other people on a Maxum forum like this makes me happy that I'm not the only one out there with this type and color boat.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #33
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
DANG!!!..8.50 a gal???.....crap....I think this is all a sham...a way for the arabs to line thier Beemers with diamonds and crap!!....don't get me started on the sham we have in the US on oil...record profits on every company and we're getting killed at the pumps.... :twisted:
However in the UK the taxes are structured differently, that is why their gas is so high. All of us in the USA are just getting screwed... both by tree huggers and congress. O'well just my $.02 worth..