Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-16-2015, 04:49 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Anode gasket. Alpha drive

I have a 2004 2100sd. 5.0 with an alpha drive. I took it out of hibernation and I am doing some little things to get it ready to go in the water for the summer.

One of the projects was changing out the fuzzy anodes. Not a big deal....but the first time I have ever done it. I got the kit and noticed a gasket looking thing.

Well.... When I removed the anode on the bottom of the gimbal housing...I learned where the gasket goes....

But..... The one that has been installed..assuminging from the factory was askew. One bolt was through one hole...one not at all. The gasket was rotated about 60 degrees around the one bolt.

I put the new one in correctly, but what does that gasket do, and it has been running with virtually none there for years. Will that hurt anything? Or is there something I should look at before it goes in the water?

I moor it in fresh water. But it's previous life was used in salt, but trailered each time.

Any opinions?

Here is a picture.... But it isn't very good. You can see the diamond shaped gasket askew.

Thanks

Rocky
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Sled600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
Admiral

Interesting, I have not been aware of this before and just did some looking. Alphas have this but Bravos do not. My guess is that it is to isolate the anode in this area from the SS trim hoses that it covers when installed.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Thanks, Mike!
Possibly. But the gasket isn't between the hoses and anode and the hoses. It is between the anode and the housing. There is hole in the housing that the gasket would seal off.... But it didn't really appear to be anything that would need to stay dry.
The housing was still nice and shiny paint in that area, so there was no obvious damage, but I was just curious about what it might do.
Sled600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
Admiral

I'm sure if you post the question on a site such as iboats you will get the answer.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote