Old 02-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Adding weight to Anchor Locker to assist planning

2001 SCR2700 with exstended swim platform adding weight over the transom . 454 b3 doesn't always come on plane quick enough.to many variables Gas full, water full, several people etc.
I put a hyrdofoil on. Made a huge difference.Still not quick enough .I have spoken to Bennet the recommended larger tabs stating most manufacturers put the tabs on for listing. looking at other boats in our marina I have noticed the tabs one are boat are very small in comparison to other manuafactures. Reading the docmentation that came with the boat. states all chain rode or rode with combination of rope.
Currently i have the combo. I was thinking that the boat must be balanced to accept the heavier load of the chain rode ( keeping the bow down) Has anyone tried adding weight in the huge anchor locker. In principle I don't beleive its different than concrete ballast or leadshot .

Frozen No Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Admiral

first off..welcome to the zoo...second off...what type of water do you boat in...salt...fresh..lakes..pond...sound...etc....
3rdly: bennett makes a system that you add to your present trim tab set up...called auto trim tabs..
I installed them in my boat and wow..what a difference...full bag of gas...fresh water full...gear...the bow comes up and the tabs go down automatically...bow drops the tabs come back up....I'd suggest getting larger tabs and the auto trim tabs...
start with drive and tabs all the way down...hit the throttle and then as you plane...bring the tabs back up.....then the drive to find the right sweet spot....
i have the same boat but with the 6.2ltr mpi/b3 engine/drive set up..

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Ensign

Big lake 30miles ( land locked)
Auto trim tabs! Im going to look into them.I called Bennet they never pitched the automatic system to me. They basically said per their formula the tabs are undersized, but sized per the OEM specification.

What did the system cost you. Was it a DYI can it be done in the water ?
or better before its in for the season. Thanks for the knowledge,and love the site. I know several Maxum owners but know one with a 2700 with the same hull design
Old 02-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Admiral

it's dyi set up...all in the cockpit....cost was about 350...comes with a computer/relay/control console......the tabs obvioulsy need to be replaced out of the water...but the auto tab set up splices into your existing controls...switches stay in place...
try here

http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/catalog.php?vID=167

the price seems to have gone up $39

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
Lt. Commander

Default Re: Adding weight to Anchor Locker to assist planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen No Salt
2001 SCR2700 with exstended swim platform adding weight over the transom . 454 b3 doesn't always come on plane quick enough.to many variables Gas full, water full, several people etc.
I put a hyrdofoil on. Made a huge difference.Still not quick enough .I have spoken to Bennet the recommended larger tabs stating most manufacturers put the tabs on for listing. looking at other boats in our marina I have noticed the tabs one are boat are very small in comparison to other manuafactures. Reading the docmentation that came with the boat. states all chain rode or rode with combination of rope.
Currently i have the combo. I was thinking that the boat must be balanced to accept the heavier load of the chain rode ( keeping the bow down) Has anyone tried adding weight in the huge anchor locker. In principle I don't beleive its different than concrete ballast or leadshot .
Not sure if you syaing that you alreday have TABS fitted, if not why not look at fitting SMART Tabs ? ........ will certainly help with planing time, and planing attitude underway.
Better than carrying dead weight (= more fuel)
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
Ensign

Default Adding weight to the anchor locker

I have the stock Tabs installed by the factory. My point if the boat is designed to carry chain in the anchor locker as well as rope you have a significant weight difference between the two. I personally have 150ft rope rode with 15ft of chain. Making the boater lighter in the bow.This makes me believe by adding additional weight to the bow to make up the difference . I have had many different boats and some I have had to add weight to one side or another or move a battery just because of listing . My thought last year I had 8 people on board and I couldn't get up, untill about a 200lb man got up and walked below to the fridge. instantly the bow came down . It's been years since I have had to have anyone get on the bow to put one of my boats on plan.I had an old girlfriend who was my auto plane. She would get up to the bow in a moments notice of struggling to get on plane. Quick research bennett has a formula and say per their formula the tabs are undersized They recommend much larger tabs. I was just thinking in the off season why not start off with an extra 200lbs in the bow, there is plenty of room in the anchor locker on this boat, They really wasted space .I have ordered the
Auto tab controller from Bennett. I'm taking SP advise because the worst thing that can come from the install would be 300.00 He said it was the best mod he had done on his SCR2700.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

Default Re: Adding weight to the anchor locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen No Salt
I have the stock Tabs installed by the factory. My point if the boat is designed to carry chain in the anchor locker as well as rope you have a significant weight difference between the two. I personally have 150ft rope rode with 15ft of chain. Making the boater lighter in the bow.This makes me believe by adding additional weight to the bow to make up the difference . I have had many different boats and some I have had to add weight to one side or another or move a battery just because of listing . My thought last year I had 8 people on board and I couldn't get up, untill about a 200lb man got up and walked below to the fridge. instantly the bow came down . It's been years since I have had to have anyone get on the bow to put one of my boats on plan.I had an old girlfriend who was my auto plane. She would get up to the bow in a moments notice of struggling to get on plane. Quick research bennett has a formula and say per their formula the tabs are undersized They recommend much larger tabs. I was just thinking in the off season why not start off with an extra 200lbs in the bow, there is plenty of room in the anchor locker on this boat, They really wasted space .I have ordered the
Auto tab controller from Bennett. I'm taking SP advise because the worst thing that can come from the install would be 300.00 He said it was the best mod he had done on his SCR2700.
I personally would never add weight in a sports boat just to plane ... that means you are pulling around the weight of an extra person all the time for nothing.
If your engine is struggling to get it on plane now - why make it work harder?
By all means move something to adjust list ... but I would not simply pile weight in the bow.

Have you checked to see if you are propped right ?
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #8

adding ballast is an ancient method of trimming a boat, whether it be fore/aft or port/starboard. However, I wouldn't do it on a powerboat. You can typically 'shift' weight as needed. If I have a number of people on board, I'll ask some to move down below and forward to assist in getting on plane. I also don't store coolers on teh back deck, those go down below as well. I don't throw everything under the sun into the aft/midcabin either as that contributes to strn loading the weight.
You should have enough ballast lying around the boat which can be redistributed to achieve the same goal. Also consider what your carrying around evey day and whether or not you use it everyday and whether you need it on board. (No you don't use flares, fire extinguishers and life presevers everyday, but you also don't use 10 cans of propane, and bottles of wax, cleaner, a weeks worth of clothes in the lockers, etc.)

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote