Old 05-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Lt. JG

Default 2002 Maxum 2400SD engine bay struts

The struts that hold the engine bay cover open on our 2002 2400SD are missing—at some point, they had worn out and were useless, so I removed them, planning on replacing them. Time passes ... and now that it's come time to actually replace them, I have no idea where they are.

If anyone can help with the proper model number, or even the closed and extended lengths of the struts on your 2400SD, I would be greatly appreciative.

thanks;
-rob.

boater2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #2

It's actually not that difficult to calculate. Measure the span between the posts with the hatch open, then measure the span betwen the posts with the hatch closed (provided you have a light and the room to be temporarily closed in the engine compartment. Then find the gas strut that comes within that range. You'll need the higher end of the lbs of force.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Lt. JG

The trick would be the 'closed in engine bay' measurement. I'm not sure I'd be able to fit (while still being able to do any measuring), as there's not a lot of room in there. But I'll take a look after I get the boat back from service.

thanks;
-rob.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
Lt. JG

I will measure mine in the morning for you. I have a 2004SD, there cant be much of a difference.
brianbossman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
Lt. JG

That'd be great, thanks! Also, while you're looking, if you can see any identifying manufacturer and/or model info, that could be helpful, too.

Again, thanks in advance.

regards,
-rob.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
Lt. JG

Be happy to. I will snap a couple of pics of them as well.
brianbossman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Lt. JG

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything ... but any luck with the struts? Even if you can just get the model numbers off them, that'd be a great help, I think.

thanks;
-rob.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to BayBoy

Should be able to get the exact part number here. A little cross reference work on Google should get you to a cheaper automotive equivalent. http://www.maxumcustomercare.com
BayBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Lieutenant

Rob, I have a 2003 2400 SCR, I am reconfiguring my hatch to open to vertical. I'm removing the zee bar hinge on the backseat to remove the back seat to allow that. The rewards? You get infinite head room when servicing the motor. I'll just add some cleats to the back seat to hold it in place while running.
SRPATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
Lieutenant

I also have to change the struts to longer ones and maybe move the bollom strut bracket. But like bayboy stated, you can get them at any car parts store.
SRPATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayBoy View Post
Should be able to get the exact part number here. A little cross reference work on Google should get you to a cheaper automotive equivalent. http://www.maxumcustomercare.com
Thanks; I hadn't seen that site before - bookmarked for future usefulness.

I was able to find the part number -- 1703948 -- and discover that it's a 50lb strut. But there's no size information at all, and Googling on the part number wasn't incredibly useful. However, knowing it's a 50lb strut, I guess we'll use a string and measure our "closed" distance and then see what we can find.

thanks!
-rob.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRPATTON View Post
Rob, I have a 2003 2400 SCR, I am reconfiguring my hatch to open to vertical. I'm removing the zee bar hinge on the backseat to remove the back seat to allow that. The rewards? You get infinite head room when servicing the motor. I'll just add some cleats to the back seat to hold it in place while running.
Now that's an interesting idea; when you finish, I'd love to see some pics of the conversion.

regards,
-rob.