Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Maxum Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 1991 Maxum 2300 SCR water Pump/Sewage Pump Access for winter

Recently purchased this boat and first time winterizing it.

I am trying to access the Water pump and Sewage Discharge pump for winterization. I have removed a couple small wall panel in the bunk room under the helm but still will require more access to adequately winterize. Will the big wall panel have to be removed to gain full access or is there a simpler way. I believe the Sewage pump is on top of the fresh water tank but can't really see it fully. Also will the FW tank have to be pumped out or is there an easy drain?

Ocean Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Admiral

why are you trying to access these pumps???...unless your replacing them...there's no need to do anything...what you can do is either pump the water out thru the sinks....and then just pour some RV antifreeze into the water tank...about 5 gals should do it...then pump it thru the system until it comes out each sink...done..
the head is about the same..pump it out....add about 3 gals of rv AF...pump thru the head...done....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Ensign

I was hoping to do it like my trailer, hook the antifreeze directly to the pump and wouldn't have to flush out the tanks. Was also have a problem with my Seawge pump, wasn't working so wanted to trace out the problem and get at the pump. I take it there is no easy access to these pumps?
Ocean Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Admiral

well.the san pump is right on top of the freshwater tank ..should be mounted to a piece of plywood......undo the two connections and the thing should slide right out...

make sure your wearing rubber gloves though....NASTY stuff comes out of there that you never thought passed thru your body!!..

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 10-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #5
Commander

Default Northwest Winterization

Seapuppy:
I know there is a thread going around about winterization, but I just read your comment on this thread and it got me to thinking. I just drained my fresh water holding tank last week by turning on the water pump and opening the faucets on the sink until the water was empty. Now I am sure that there will be residual h2o in the lines. I also installed a heater in the bilge, as you recommended and have another heater in the baunk area. Do I need to run RV anitifreeze as you have described here?????
ANother question: I am getting my stern drive painted next week. The boat was bottom painted a year ago and appears to me to be in good condition. Can this be pressure washed without painting again? I was hoping to get another season out of the bottom paint. THoughts????
As always, thanks for your help.

RIch

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
why are you trying to access these pumps???...unless your replacing them...there's no need to do anything...what you can do is either pump the water out thru the sinks....and then just pour some RV antifreeze into the water tank...about 5 gals should do it...then pump it thru the system until it comes out each sink...done..
the head is about the same..pump it out....add about 3 gals of rv AF...pump thru the head...done....

SP
rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Admiral

Rich
yes you can pressure wash the bottom and drive unit....primer and painting will make that drive look brand new...

as for RV antifreeze..if the boat is going to be laid up for the winter..and there is usually some water left in the lines..yeah..I'd put the RV pink stuff into the water tank and pump it thru till some comes out the sinks...do the same with the head system....pour a half gal. into the head..pump it to the tank..pour the rest into the head...pump to the head...do this and leave a little in the head bowl....you'll be well protected during the winter lay up...

SP
Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang

Old 10-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Commander

Well the boat will be in the water and I am positive we will do a few days of winter putzing around but not enough to need any fresh water onboard. That being said, would you still recommend doing the marine antifreeze??

Two more things. Batteries. I keep the charger on 24/7. Is this ok? During the winter months when the boat will be sitting for weeks at a time, is it ok, or should I, start the engine and let it run for a while? If so, how long?

I am sure there are more questions to come. Many thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy
Rich
yes you can pressure wash the bottom and drive unit....primer and painting will make that drive look brand new...

as for RV antifreeze..if the boat is going to be laid up for the winter..and there is usually some water left in the lines..yeah..I'd put the RV pink stuff into the water tank and pump it thru till some comes out the sinks...do the same with the head system....pour a half gal. into the head..pump it to the tank..pour the rest into the head...pump to the head...do this and leave a little in the head bowl....you'll be well protected during the winter lay up...

SP
rgreenwell8962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
Admiral

if your gonna be in the water and using it during the winter..then no need to winterize the fresh water system or the san tank....as long as the sound don't freeze you won't either.....if the boat is going to sit for 3 mos..then winterize the engine and fog the engine too...if not...just starting it up every few weeks won't hurt it none...your going to have to get it up to temp for atleast 15 min...so...running it in the water is recommended...
keep the charger on won't hurt it either..but if your going to be away from the boat for long periods...turn the batt. switch and all other electric's of except AC for the heaters....the batt. will hold a charge but make sure things like the fridge is off and empty...crack that open so mold doesn't grow....
if you need some clearification..email me and we'll exchange cell phone numbers and talk you thru it.....
hope this helps...

SP

Par Excellence

Tap-Rack-Bang