Old 06-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #1

Default Well, at least it's not a new engine

I launched the boat this year and got an unpleasant surprise with higher than normal engine temps. I've been watching creep (inch) very very slowly and only at higher rpm's (4000). I strongly suspected the transom assembly on the Bravo III. They have a tendency to corrode and constrict the water intake line.

I pulled the engine, removed the transom assembly and confirmed a severe restriction. What I didn't expect was having to replace:

Water Pump: Leaking and exhibiting bearing wear
All Pulleys: heavy rust
Starter: Ball-o-rust
Oil Pan: Heavy corrosion
Manifolds & Risers: Goes without saying.
Cool Fuel module: 496 (8.1) with painted cool fuel module. showing black sludge in filters. Known issue.

I'm bracing myself for the cost. I have it listed with a broker (we're trying to move UP in size). This is going to delay that for another season or two.
I'm waiting for me mechanic to drop the other shoe and tell me how a for only n$ more I can repower.

For now, at least its not a repower.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:43 PM   #2
Admiral

Darn buddy sorry to hear that. I took my transom assembly apart and my hose was getting clogged as well.

Surprised about all the other stuff on that new of an engine.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
Admiral

I know I have spent a wad of cash these last 2 years on upkeep on the toys. You folks in the salt water land really have to be careful . Flush flush! I know myself even in the Midwest that last thing I do is spray down everything with wd-40 for rust protection.

Well hope for the best Shrew...if you are going to sell it maybe a repower would sound more attractive than rebuilt to a future buyer. Imho.

Good luck

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:40 AM   #4

I repowered in 2009. So I'm going into the 8th season with it. the transom assembly leaking required a lot of salt water to accumulate before it would reach the bilge pump. The starter is low and to back, so that fell victim. New Starter

The oil pan is aluminum, and while the paint is gone the pan itself is fine. What is not fine is the steel bushing for the drain hose. So, new oil pan.

The engine is only a 1/2 freshwater cooled system, so the manifolds and risers are raw water cooled and 7 years old. They are also showing evidence of baked paint. New Manifolds and risers.

Raw Water Pump showing signs of leaking. This is not uncommon. New raw water pump.

Pulleys heavily rusted creating a lot of belt dust. replacing all pulleys.

Cool Fuel module has paint. It needs to be replaced. I resent Mercruiser for refusing to recall this. It was a dumb idea to paint the inside of the cool fuel module. I shouldn't have to pay for this, but since I'm already doing work.......this is getting replaced too.

Transom assembly is 1997. Once removed showed obvious signs of leakage and heavy corrosion around the steering arm. The obvious restriction and leak dictates replacement.

Thankfully the transom itself is in good shape.

While walking around the boat it seems that all 11 nylon through hulls need to be replaced. I removed 4 I could take them with me to buy new ones. 2 of the 4 I removed snapped trying to remove the hose from the barb end. This confirmed their need for replacement as well. I wanted SS until I saw the prices. I bought marelon instead.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
Admiral

Shrew seems to be all normal boat issues just compounded into one repair cycle.

Didn't your previous signature say something about if you have to ask the cost you cannot afford boating?

Mike
Old 06-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #6

LMFAO!!!!! You hit the nail on the head. The frustration is two-fold.

1) It's June, not March or April.

2) The admiral is demanding a bigger boat. (Life is good). I can't sell it like this and it makes no sense to put 8-10K in the boat and then sell her.

We're taking her off the market and will try to get 2-3 more years out of her. The wife agrees, only now she says, "If we're keeping it for 3 years, we're replacing the headliner. WTF???

I'm waiting on the bottom line of the final parts list.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:37 PM   #7
Admiral

Well you must have so great time on the boat if the wife is looking at the headliner.

I hear you about the timing, always say I don't mind working on the boat durning the off season but just want to boat once it's the season.

Mike
Old 06-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #8

LOL!!!!! I ain't sayin' nuthin'.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #9

Hauled the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend and FINALLY re-launched the Sunday of Fourth of July. After a 15 mile run and sitting for 24 hours, there isn't a drop of water in the bilge. Plus the engine has never run so cool. I spent most of Sunday and all day Monday cleaning the boat. Plus I had to fix the center support bar for the hatches and rebed that in place since it's tied to the deck drainage. Replace a strut bracket on the engine hatch and the strut.

JUST IN TIME since I'm going on vacation this friday!!
Old 07-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #10
Admiral

Great enjoy.

I took this week off and got mine back in the water this past Saturday.

Mike
Old 07-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Great enjoy.

I took this week off and got mine back in the water this past Saturday.
NICE!!!!! Just in time for the 4th of July, or what I've been referring too as
"Brexit 1.0 'The Original'"