Old 04-05-2015, 08:46 PM   #1
Ensign

Wink Thoughts on 4.3 vs 5L engine on a 2100 SC3

Looking at a pair of 2100 SC3s. (2007 Maxum 2100 SC3 | boat review @ Top Speed) Both have low hours. One has the standard 4.3L and the other has the optional 5L.

They are both out of state, so its impractical to drive them (planning on independent inspection for the one I opt to go with).

It would be use for general weekend fun, cruising to the other end of the lake to swim, maybe doing some tubing (1-3 person tube). Anywhere from two adults/two kids to a max of 4 adults 3 kids for "crew".

Like the weight and fuel savings of the 4.3, but don't want to have buyers remorse if the 4.3 won't be able to move the boat when loaded.

Any owners that have either of these engines on a 21"? How do you like your boat overall?

AdamG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:33 AM   #2
Lt. JG

I've got a pair of 4.3s and a gen set in my 3000scr, a very heavy boat. Even with 150 gal of fuel and full water tanks she will plane with three adults on board. I can't speak to your concerns other than 4.3 vs 5.0 is about the same, unlike the 5.7. I don't have the top speed that V-8s would give me, but I can cruise at 22 knots and top out at 29/30.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:41 AM   #3
Admiral

Adam welcome aboard

Are both carb engines? How do the boats compare in condition?

If both are fairly equal I would go with the 5.0, however the 4.3 should have plenty of power for this boat. The 4.3 is basically a 5.7 less 2 cylinders.

I ran one with a dead cylinder in a 20' Sea Ray and could hardly tell. Bought the boat that way and fixed it the following year.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
Ensign

Both are fuel injection. I actually found out that the one listed as a 4.3 V6 is really a 350MAG V8. I have only seen photos of both boats.

The boat with the 350 is a 2007 with under 80 hours and a lot of nice aftermarket add-ons: teak table, teak swimdeck, trim tabs, plotter, camper cabin, extra rails, etc. Its even a local boat. Problem is condition leaves a lot to be desired. Its been sitting since 2012 and was uncovered during a lot of that time without a heater so there is what appears to be a lot of "condensation" (per the broker, look for the rust spots in this photo):

Additionally it appears there was some sort of hull repair made above the trim tabs. They think "due to the trailer being incorrectly adjusted early on in the boat's life causing the trim tabs to both break away and punch through the areas in question." :
If they left the boat uncovered for two and a half years it makes me wonder if they flushed the salt water out of the engine prior to "storing" it. The price doesn't reflect any of these issues either, but I'm sure if I had a surveyor go through it I would be able to get the price down.

The 5.0L is a 2009 located half way across the country. 50 hours, freshwater only and appears to be in great condition as its been kept covered and inside when not in use. It doesn't have any of the add-ons the other one does so I would need to eventually get trim tabs and GPS. Based on condition it appears to be a decent price, but I would need to put about $2k in equipment and have it shipped for a TBD amount.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
Ensign

mmwjr-I replied last night, but the post is being held for moderation. Hopefully it will get released soon!
Old 04-10-2015, 03:36 AM   #6
Admiral

Rust and mold are difficult to get out

The glass repair is not good as the damage area should have been cut out and not just glassed over

The GPS on this boat is now dated so do not lose sleep over that.

I would consider the other boat over this one if it really is in better shape

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote