Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Ensign

Default temperature engine mercruier 3.0, 1998

hello. I'm new on this site in Moldova and sorry for translation. Please say it is normal engine temperature to normal function, ie when the boat goes. Please let me also sounds as water is pumped through the system and when you need to change the pump. Thanks in advance.

Venea30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Welcome to the site Venea.

It is normal to have some temperature fluctuation once the engine is completely warmed up, but not a lot. For instance, if your engine normally runs at 170 degrees it may go down to 165 or up to 175. If it is fluctuating more than that you might want to have it checked. Like a car engine your boat engine has a thermostat to control the temperature - and those thermostats do go bad.

Your boat will have two water pumps. One pump, called the "raw water pump" is located in the lower section of the outdrive. The other pump, called the "circulation pump" is mounted to the front of the engine and driven by one of the fan belts. The raw water pump should be replaced every 2 or 3 years. The circulation pump normally does not need to be changed.

If you don't know when the raw water pump was last replaced you should have that done now.

Dan

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #3

Welcome aboard Venea!!! A good rule of thumb, though not always the case....many marine guages are designed so that the needle is at 12 o'clock when opertating normally. It make it easy to quickly scan the guages and notice if one is off a bit. This is not always the case, but common. What are you running temperature? If it fluctuating? If so, by how much?
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Admiral

Venea, I agree with what Dan and Shrew have said but also suggest inspecting the exhaust riser as an old one may become partial clogged with rust restricting flow and may result in fluctuating tempature (first hand experience). I check the tempature of my engine and exhaust system twice a year (at beinging and mid season) using a hand help infared tempature guage (cost about $20 US). This will tell you if the system is working or not.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:18 AM   #5
Ensign

Dan thanks for information. I will help a lot of you have said.
I hope not because I have trouble singing bought another boat I was on the water because it is very complicated to new record, especially special trailer and boat are recorded separately.: Превью:
Old 05-19-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
Ensign

Sorry for translation using Google translator because I speak English and not
Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Lt. Commander

With nearly same boat I will attest the "running at 12 o'clock" on the guage - for mine that is about 150-160 F it is usually there fairly qquick and doesn't move too much...