Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default super flush system- has anyone installed one of these?

Greetings all,
Looking to install a SF400 superflush engine/manifold flusher. Has anyone installed one of these (6cyl 4.3) and how do you like it. It looks to be just what I was looking for as my system is raw water cooled and in ocean water. They install with a quick connect water feed and appear to install quickly thru the block plugs and thermostat hoses and utilize a high pressure reverse flow to quickly flush the system.
thanks for your replies
ccruser1

ccruser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Admiral

I've seen em...but never installed one..I have a reverse system on my boat but have never used it since I'm drydocked......

I'd say install it....buy it and since your in salt water all the time..it certainly won't hurt it...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Admiral

Have you been watching Ship Shape TV? It is one of my favorites.......if though the man John G thinks we are all about 6 years old it is fun to watch.

I would imagine if you boat in salt water this is the thing to have. Spent alittle money to save alot of money.......

I think the units start around 300 bucks. If you get one let us know how easy or hard installation was and if they work.......

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
I've seen em...but never installed one..I have a reverse system on my boat but have never used it since I'm drydocked......

I'd say install it....buy it and since your in salt water all the time..it certainly won't hurt it...

SP
And don't you have the Seacore's too? After goign through a repower and now what looks like a new drive, I would still use that system. What better way to gurantee the life of the motors??
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Lieutenant

I might be a sucker or just a little anal but when it comes to my baby an ounce of prevention...well you know...
It's $299 plus about $15 for shipping. I ordered it and we'll see how it goes. Just seems to make sense to me as I am raw water cooled and it is sure a lot cheaper than adding an aftermarket fresh water cooling system that still has salt water in use. Only 4 block connections and a quick connect thru hull fitting plus hoses so it doesn't look that tough. I will let everyone know how it goes.
thanks
Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Lieutenant

I ordered it and am just waiting for a free day to install it. Be aware of one thing. The kit only comes with two Merc drain plug adapters. If you want to hook it up using four drain plug adapters, you'll have to call and order two additional Merc "EZ" adapters.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #7
Commander

I would be interested in your testing of it. I saw their ad, but I was skeptical. I was planning on a DIY set up where I tee into the raw water hose in the bilge with some PVC. The one thing I was planning was on having two hoses feed the water supply as a single hose just doesn't produce enough volume of water or pressure.
jamanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Lieutenant

I think the theory of the system is to utilize the high pressure developed from the injection manifold to "pressure wash" the system out. Just using a garden hose will not give the same pressure. The complete system installed rather easily but took conciderably longer than the 1 hour advertised. I also spent a lot of time trying to get the plastic block manifold hose connectors screwed into the block. The threads just did not seem right and I was afraid of them breaking in the block. I have written them on this to see if this was a common issue. The kit came with 4 brass fittings and 2 plastic fittings along with another fitting if you require a knock sensor connection. I would have preferred to use the brass fittings but the threads were not the correct size.( I was installing on a 4.3 V6)

Once installed it is very quiet to use and very easy.

I was told by my mechanic to let the engine cool prior to flushing with this system as it does not make sence to run cold water thrue a hot engine.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccruser1 View Post
I think the theory of the system is to utilize the high pressure developed from the injection manifold to "pressure wash" the system out. Just using a garden hose will not give the same pressure. The complete system installed rather easily but took conciderably longer than the 1 hour advertised. I also spent a lot of time trying to get the plastic block manifold hose connectors screwed into the block. The threads just did not seem right and I was afraid of them breaking in the block. I have written them on this to see if this was a common issue. The kit came with 4 brass fittings and 2 plastic fittings along with another fitting if you require a knock sensor connection. I would have preferred to use the brass fittings but the threads were not the correct size.( I was installing on a 4.3 V6)

I was told by my mechanic to let the engine cool prior to flushing with this system as it does not make sence to run cold water thrue a hot engine.
After I broke the plastic fitting that came with the kit, I ordered a 1/4" NPT to 1/2" NPT adapter to screw into the block. This eliminates the need for the 1/2"-13 SAE to 1/2" NPT adapters that come with the kit.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerseagar View Post
Have you been watching Ship Shape TV? It is one of my favorites.......if though the man John G thinks we are all about 6 years old it is fun to watch.

[Hijack Warning]
We set it up on our DVR and watch it religiously. Though the show is a thinly masked 1/2 hour infomercial. It cracks us up every time he 'showcases' a new product and rolls it out on one, if not many, of his 'project boats' which are really more like his fleet of personal boats. Each time a new product is shown we laugh and say "Oh John G needs a new <Blah blah>". Genious, wish I thought of it. Count how many times he says "AAAAAAAAAND". LOL

[Back on Topic]

After seeing the Superflush system, We were thinking about it. Though i have closed cooling so the only thing I'd be saving is the heat exchanger and manifolds. The boat is wet slipped in salt water so there's not much I can do for the drive
Old 04-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
Admiral

Shrew.......exactly.........the grand John G if he could speak without elongating every word that comes out of his mouth the show woulg only be about 5 minutes long.

Roger
biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccruser1 View Post

Sounds like that mechanic doesn't know much. Unless you are in the south, any time the boat is in the water you are running cold water through a hot engine. What is the average summer water temp in Mass?
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrew View Post
And don't you have the Seacore's too? After goign through a repower and now what looks like a new drive, I would still use that system. What better way to gurantee the life of the motors??
sorry I hadn't been on this one for awhile...but yeah...got seacore systems and they are really protected from corrosion...(I hope)...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryME View Post
Sounds like that mechanic doesn't know much. Unless you are in the south, any time the boat is in the water you are running cold water through a hot engine. What is the average summer water temp in Mass?
Not THAT much different than southern Maine to make a difference. All of which is STILL colder than the average temp coming out of a garden hose. If you don't think so, hose yourself down with a garden hose, THEN jump in the ocean and tell me which is COLDER. (Or vice versa) LMAO!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
Commander

Exactly Shrew!
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
Lieutenant

A couple installed pics. If you do get this, do yourself a favor. Take the bag of hose clamps that come with it and throw them in the trash and get some decent brand name ones.

Old 06-23-2021, 06:52 PM   #17
Ensign

Default long term experience

Hey, anyone on this thread, do you have any long term feedback on the use of superflush on your raw water engine? Love to know how it worked out over the long term without having an aftermarket cooling system installed in a salt water boat.

Thanks

scottjbrownlee is offline   Reply With Quote