Old 08-16-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Starting intermittently failing

Hi All. I've been a lurker for a while but now have an issue I hope I can get some direction on. I have 2001 1900SR Maxum. I've had it for a number of years. An issue has now started with the starter.

When I turn the key, the regular warning buzzer goes off but all it does after that is make a "clunk" sound. I repeatedly turn the key, getting this cluck sound, then, maybe after 15 or 20 turns the starter will engage. When it engages, it does so weakly...and just enough to start the engine after about 30to 45 seconds of cranking. I have found that after the engine has run a while, the starter works somewhat better the next time.

I've checked and replaced the battery with one that I know is strong. Checked the connections on the battery, checked the (I'm not sure what it is called) red plastic key at the battery (is that an anti-theft feature) but still no luck. I've fumbled with the cables at the starter and they appear to not be loose.

I also should note, that near the end of last season it was in the shop for plugs, new spark plug wires and various maintenance stuff. When I first launched it I found that it was supper supper sluggish. I was worried something was wrong, opened up the engine compartment and found that it was full of water..I mean full! It was over the engine mounts and thinking about it now, must have submerged the starter.

So....before I contort myself to get to the starter, do you think it is the likely culprit?
Thanks
Tim.

Merccooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #2
Admiral

Wow a lurker since 2011 and this is your first post.

You did not say what engine you have but I am thinking some type of mercruiser. Since it does start the engine is not locked up and I an think a low voltage to starter issue. Clean the battery terminals, is the battery good?

Check voltage at the slave solenoid which should be near the engine breaker, should have 12Vs on both terminals when trying to crank, these go bad over time and cost about $25. From what you have described this is what I suspect initially.

If good check that power is 12V at the starter solenoid when cranking.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:00 AM   #3
Ensign

Ya, kinda of odd that I haven't posted.....but I'll have a few more questions after the starter is fixed.

Ummm....ya, knowing the type of engine would help wouldn't it. It is a Mercruiser 4.3L ALPHA/BRAVO (262 CID - GEN +).

Yup, battery is good and the terminals and cable ties are clean. I'll take a look at the voltage, the only problem is that the starter is so far under the engine that it is hard to get to. Also, the boat is at the cottage...3.5 hours away, so it likely won't be until a couple of weeks until I get to it again.

Thanks for the input.
Merccooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:29 AM   #4
Admiral

Alpha/Bravo? Being that it's a 1900 I am assuming it's a Alpha drive.

Start with the slave solenoid which is next to the engine breaker (has red button) on the top of the engine. This is a common issues with this solenoid.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote