Old 06-29-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Starter motor problems?

Can anyone tell me if replacing my starter motor is something I can handle? I am not a mechanic, but have mechanical skills. I do a lot of maintenance on me Mercruiser 5.7 I/o myself. I've replaced cap/rotor/plugs and wires in the past and have replaced thermostat among other things. I believe I have a starter problem, since my batteries show a charge on the ammmeter and they were on trickle charge all winter. Usually when the batteries are dead, there is a clicking or nothing at all when you turn the key. I get a quick attempt at a start by the motor, but watching the serpentine belt it moves about 1 inch. I can turn the key repeatedly 4 or 5 times and quickly turn it back and each time the motor will do as described above. Any ideas? Thanks all.

Harley31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Admiral

Harley31 it sounds like the starter may be working if the engine tries to turn over. It kind of sound like the engine is hydo locked (water in cylinders). Remove the spark plugs and see if water comes out then see if engine will turn over either by turning the key or using a breaker bar and socket on the center crank pulley bolt. If you can't turn it using the breaker bar with the spark plugs removed I am afraid the engine is lock up.

Let us know what you find out.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Ensign

Right on!!! That's exactly what it was. Someone else told me the same thing. I would have tried the fix myself, but I had my marina do the winterizing last November (I usually do it myself but I didn't have time last year. I have a 2 year old. 'nuff said). I wasn't sure if the problem had something to do with freezing over the winter, so I didn't want to mess with it in case that was the situation. If it was a problem with the winterizing, I didn't want to do anything to the engine so as to remove all doubt of what the problem was. I guess that explains what I mean! That's a lot of words to say I just didn't want to mess with it!! Thanks for your input.
Harley31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Admiral

That is a lot of words and you lost me with them. So the engine is hydo locked? Is the mechanic at fault and taking blame/making repairs on his nickle?

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote