Old 07-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Ensign

Default sputter and back fire

I have a 95 Maxum 1800 SR, the motor runs strong but after about an hour of running it begins to sputter and back fire, I have put new plugs in it and it did not fix the problem. The blower does not work and I would like to get a new one but do not know what kind I need. Can anyone give me some advice on these issues?

coondog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #2

Default Re: sputter and back fire

Backfiring is caused by unspent fuel being discharged thorugh the exhaust valves and igniting as it hits the hot exhaust system. You've already swaped out the plugs, which I would recommend as this could be caused by a cylinder not firing. I'd also look at swapping out the distributor, rotor and plug wires as well since these could lead to a similar siutation. These should be canged out periodically anyway. Finally, I'd make sure that the engine is timed correctly. Having an exhaust valve opening early could cause a situation like this as well.

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
Ensign

Default Re: sputter and back fire

Thanks for the reply! I guess it was more of a pop not a backfire. I drained all the fuel, and replaced the fuel filter. The gas looked like apple cider, it was very nasty! The fuel filter had a lot of dirt and stuff in it. With fresh gas and a new filter she ran great! I'm going to go ahead and order a tune up kit with a distributor and rotor and get new plug wires I don't think it will hurt anything. Thanks for the help!

David Cooney
96 Maxum 1800 SR
"The Rubber Duck"
coondog78 is offline   Reply With Quote