Old 09-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Spark Issue

Just want to make sure im ordering the right thing.... Good spark from the coil, week spark at the plug wire and no spark at spark plug. would it be a safe bet to order new distributer cap rotor button and wires?

ussoldier_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
Admiral

I'd also change out the plugs....they are cheap....relatively speaking and it would eliminate any issues later...

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
Lieutenant

still waiting on my parts but had a question, I cleaned the distributer and checked the spark on it seems im getting enough spark but it wont start. it will pop backwards as if its out of timing but i have never moved the dist. and the bolt that holds it is tight. any suggestions or does it sound like i need the dist. kit?
Old 09-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #4
Commander

Cool spark

have you check the plug wire for the right firing order?????what engine is it.
cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:04 AM   #5
Lieutenant

its the 4.3 lx motor and yes I have checked and rechecked the plugs are in the right firing order. Im just worried that I will still have the problem after I replace the dist. wires ignition module (inside the dist.) rotor and plugs.
Tomorrow morning im going to make sure the timing is at 8 degrees. I'm hoping that it didnt jump timing
Old 09-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Commander

Cool spark

I would change the cap&rotor but not the ignition module at first.if you have spark the module should be ok ????.how many hours on the motor.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
Lieutenant

I have no clue how many hours I do know the boat was not used since 1997 untill I got it this spring
Old 09-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Lieutenant

here is a short video of what my motor is doing (dieseling backwards but not starting) timing is good. and checked ohms on spark plug wires is between 10 to 15 ohms is that ok?

[video=youtube;LVSi12vKlZA]
Old 09-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
Commander

Cool spark

I would make sure it is on compression stroke on #1 and be sure the rotor is pointed to #1 on the cap.Is this new??? or has the engine had this spark problem for a while????.If you ground a plug and turn the engine over and check the spark strength.It sounds out of time to me be sure it is on compression stroke on #1.When was the last time it ran ok ???was it a sudden problem
Old 09-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #10
Lieutenant

Yes it was a sudden problem it happened about 2 weeks ago it sounded like it ran out of fuel on the water then wouldnt start up it ran great up untill that point. I dont see how it could of come out of time the distributer has never been loose or moved. Put new plug wires on about 20 mins ago spark is nice and white (made sure I hooked the plugs up correctly to the right cylinder twice) Plugs are only about a month old they look good. Is the coil always supposed to be putting out 12 volts to the dist no matter what position the engine is in? I thought it was only supposed to release the charge when the dist ignition sensor told it to
Old 09-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #11
Lieutenant

here is pics of number one spark plug and number 2 plug.... does it look like there is carbon tracing?

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 09-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #12
Commander

Cool spark

I thought it only put 12v out when firing at that contact I could be wrong but if the spark is good it must be working ok
The timing chain could have jumped a tooth .I would check compression stroke on #1 just to be sure the distributor is on #1 on the cap to be sure.Plugs look good and you have gas ????.It sounds just like it would if you had the firing order out of wack that is why I would be sure #1 is spot on.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #13
Lieutenant

I made sure number one was on compression when the dist was on number one didnt have a compression tester but i used the old screwdriver in the spark plug hole to see when number one was tdc that the rotor was pointing to number one plug wire. I did a spark test on more then just the number one so far coil is really hot spark number one is almost none number 2 is strong number 3 is week number 4 was iffy number 5 was strong sooo since the dist cap is cheep im going to order it already put new msd wires on see if that will do the trick
Old 09-20-2010, 12:23 AM   #14
Commander

Cool spark

must be the cap &rotor keep us posted I change my cap and rotor every year as well as water impeller just to be sure good luck