Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Sometimes barely turns over but so far has always started - AlphaOne 4.3L

I have a 1995 Maxum 2100SR that I've owned for only the 2nd season this year.
Old I know but still looks OK and runs fine.

Except...

Maybe 1 in 10 times I try starting, the engine barely turns over when I twist the key. I can hear it click and the starter engages, but seems like the engine is nearly stuck. Usually the engine just turns over a little with each twist of the key.
So far, I've been able to twist the key a couple more times and eventually the engine turns over then cranks and then starts.
The other 9 out of 10 time the starter does seem to lug but it can turn the engine and it starts fine both cold and warm.

I bought a brand new battery last season and top it off on the charger for a couple of hours before going out (we only use it maybe once/wk).
So while the battery is new, we haven't gotten stuck. But it makes me nervous. Last thing I want is to be in the middle of the lake with a thunderstorm on the way and can't get started!

My mechanic hasn't observed the problem so he couldn't offer suggestions when I talked to him about it. He thought maybe I should replace all the starter wiring. Maybe the wires have corroded as they are likely original?

Anyone had a similar problem? What might be the problem?

Could I install a 2nd battery just in case? Not a lot of room in the battery box but with some manipulating I could make room for a 2nd one.

DrZWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Captain

Could it be the starter? Auto parts stores can check it for you.

jrsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
Captain

then new starters are all have plastic gears in them, so its worth the $100 and just replace it with the two bolts that hold it on.

Electrical is rarely intermittent, works or don't work, so not the wires.....

the starters could be 17 years old.....
pascavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Admiral

Corroded wires are resistive and decrease current to the starter. Make sure lugs are clean the the battery and starter. Could also be pitted contacts on soliond (sp?), no way to insepect it just replace and see. There are 2 in the start circuit, one on starter other is slave in harness.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
Commander

I have to agree with mmwjr, and would check the slave solenoid (on top of the motor adjacent to the carb) first. They are only about $20 and are the same as the trim tilt solenoids.

-JP
CountryME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

Certainly sounds like nothing more than corroded connections of the main positive and/or negative battery cables. Follow each cable starting at the battery. Remove at each connection point, clean thoroughly, and re-install.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
Corroded wires are resistive and decrease current to the starter. Make sure lugs are clean the the battery and starter. Could also be pitted contacts on soliond (sp?), no way to insepect it just replace and see. There are 2 in the start circuit, one on starter other is slave in harness.

I 2nd this. I had a similar problem, finally when trying to start for too long a ground wire that was way too small in gauge burned up. (Billowing smoke while floating out on a lake that is 1100 ft deep can be a bit disconcerting at first) See this thread.
JoDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
Lt. Commander

Definately look to the cables at all points for damage or corrosion. When it does have trouble, if you can, get someone to crank it while lightly tapping on soleniod - it may be jamming. They are just pull and replace, no repair. Doubt it is starter itself. There is no strange noises? (gear grinding or skipping?)