Old 03-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
Lt. JG

Default Shifter issue-1999 2100 SC

Just bought my second boat. 1999 2100 SC. Shifter will go into both forward and reverse when in neutral, but will only go into forward gear part of the time and I cannot get it to go into reverse at all (well, once).

In my research, it's the typical possibilities. Shift cable adjustment, bad shift cable or the entire shift control has failed.

Based on that limited info, any ideas on what I am probably looking at?

lifespan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:18 AM   #2
Admiral

Is the out drive an Alpha? It sounds like the drive may not have been installed properly, the shifter should be in forward when installing the drive.

Otherwise disconnect the lower shift cable and try shifting it by pushing and pulling the cables core wire. If this works it's an adjustment issue

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:55 AM   #3
Lt. JG

Thanks for that info and tip. Once out dips raining here, I'll get on that. It would be nice if it just end up being an adjustment issue. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:56 AM   #4
Lt. JG

Once it stops... Auto correct
Old 03-03-2015, 02:39 AM   #5
Admiral

Rain must be nice to be above freezing, we keep getting ice storms here lately.

Mike
Old 03-03-2015, 02:45 AM   #6
Lt. JG

I guess I should be grateful for that. We do also need the rain here in southern utah. Some weird weather back east.

By the way, it is an alpha one. Like I said earlier, the helm control/shifter just won't even budge to go into reverse. Like its locked in. Initially I thought there was a trick to it. It's not that of course.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespan View Post
I guess I should be grateful for that. We do also need the rain here in southern utah. Some weird weather back east.

By the way, it is an alpha one. Like I said earlier, the helm control/shifter just won't even budge to go into reverse. Like its locked in. Initially I thought there was a trick to it. It's not that of course.
From my experience that really sounds like the drive was installed with the shifter in neutral instead of forward or the lower unit was removed to replace the impeller but again it was installed when in neutral instead of forward. The latter is plausible, been there done that.

Mike
Old 03-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #8
Lt. JG

So, I don't have a history on the boat to say that the impeller was replaced, but do know as you say, that it needs to be in forward or drive position when pulling lower unit. I am planning on replacing the impeller myself now in case it has not been done for a while. Given my stated issues with engaging the helm control into a forward position (shift cable issue), is there another way to put it into drive when completed the new impeller install and reattaching the lower unit?
Old 03-03-2015, 04:44 PM   #9
Admiral

What I would do is disconnect the lower shift cable from the shift bracket on the engine. Then pull the core wire out and try rotating the propeller both directions it should only turn freely one direction, then push the core wire all the way in and now the propeller should only turn the other direction. If this works then the outdrive is assembled correctly.

If not verify the shift level on the forward mid section of the drive is engaged properly with the mating level on the transom assembly.

If both of these check out OK them I would suspect the lower unit was not installed correctly.

Remove the lower unit and change the impeller. Drain lube first.

Now to install the lower unit place the shifter in forward. Now place lower unit in forward (shift lever facing forward), grab prop shaft and apply slight counter clockwise pressure to hold it in gear. Install lower while maintaining pressure until mated. Don't forget to replace o-ring that seals upper/lower lube passage on outer wall. Verify it now shifts in all positions and refill with lube.

Mike
Old 03-03-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
Lt. JG

I appreciate the insights Mike. It is starting to make a lot of sense and also makes me think that this may not be as costly time and money wise.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:41 PM   #11
Lt. JG

I have someone who thinks it may be the actually helm control unit itself. Any thoughts on that? It's a commander 3000. To rule that in or out, what would I do?
Old 03-03-2015, 09:15 PM   #12
Admiral

I doubt that is the problem.

To test it disconnect the shift cable that goes from the shifter to the shift plate on the engine where the lower cable connects. Disconnect it at the shift plate if the shifter can now move into forward, neutral, and reverse the control is fine. Then test the lower cable as I described before.

I have the same control and almost never hear of any issues with them.

Mike
Old 03-04-2015, 12:51 AM   #13
Lt. JG

Sorry Mike for my ignorance, when you say disconnect the shift cable at engine, would that be the upper or lower cable?
Old 03-04-2015, 02:06 AM   #14
Admiral

You could do either. They both connect at this point on the shift bracket.

The idea is to disconnect the control from the drive.

If you do the lower you will be able to check that the control works and test the dive by pushing and pulling on the lowers core wire and testing if the drive shifts into forward and reverse as I described in post 9

Mike
Old 03-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #15

The shift plate on the engine should have two cables. Both should go to the shifter. Pushing a cable is kind of like pushing a rope, and it doesn't work well. When you move the shifter forward, one cable pulls. When you move the shifter backward, the other cable pulls. If you remove both cables from the shift plate on the engine and still can't move the shifter it is more than likely either the cables themselves or the shifter. If the shifter moves fine (it should move with very little resistance), then it is from the shift plate back to the drive.
shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #16
Admiral

The two cables from the shifter are the throttle and the shift cables. The throttle cable goes directly to the carb/throttle body. The shift cable goes to the shift plate which them operates the lower shift cable that goes to the drive.

Removing the lower cable from the shift plate will allow you to hand shift the drive if the cable and drive are working properly. i.e. you should be able to push and pull on the core wire.

Mike
Old 03-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #17
Lt. JG

I actually removed the upper and lower cables. Helm control will go into forward position but, is still stuck trying to go into reverse. Am I to assume helm control issue?
Old 03-04-2015, 11:16 PM   #18
Admiral

If you push in the button to disengage the shift cable can the control be moved into reverse?

You will need to disconnect the shift and throttle cables from the control to determine if the control is bad or the cables. When going into reverse you are pushing the core wire which is harder than pulling on it so if the cable is going this direction will be worse.

Mike
Old 03-07-2015, 11:57 PM   #19
Lt. JG

Turns out it is the helm control. Disconnected both shift cables, still won't go on reverse. Checked that our drive was put back on correctly. Drive shafts on right alignment. Took apart helm control and can see a bushing cut in half and a bunch of metal shavings. Visually, very clear inside that something was very wrong.

Do I'm in the market for a new helm control/throttle control. It has a commander 3000. Anyone have any online recommendation to find one or a recommended replacement? Local boat center wants $365 for a Commander 4000. I'm sure it's marked up at least 100 percent.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:02 AM   #20
Admiral

Glad to hear you isolated the issue. I am surprised to hear it the helm control as these are pretty good units.

Have you searched the Internet for a 3000? Or the 4000 to see what pricing you get?

Mike