Old 07-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Running a bit hot...

Morning All...

My 2006, 2000SR3, 5.0 Alpha is running a bit hot on low idle or no wake conditions. The problem goes away at higher RPM. I am familiar with the impeller setup on outboards (I've replaced a few) but still unfamiliar with the I/O drive train. Does the bottom end have a similar impeller configuration? If so where is a good place to get parts? Also, it sure would be good to have a drive train manual. Anybody have a lead on these?

Thanks to all...

Bill

fixh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Admiral

Bill first welcome to the site......second to try to answer your questions...here goes. Are you in salt water? You might have a water jacket problem with corrosion. Now if not, the impeller could be losing it's effectiveness.

I have in my boating library that every boater should have and that is a Clymer's service manual of your year and make. Look into getting one and it can answer alot of questions.Amazon has them.

Your impeller is on the bottom end of the drive. You tube has lots of tutorials to watch and see how it is done.

Others might chime to offer their ideas.

Roger

biggerseagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
Ensign

Evening Roger:

Thanks for the reply. No salt water for this rig so I suspect the impeller. I'll look for the manual

Thanks again...
Old 07-27-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
Admiral

Welcome aboard.

I would think a clogged water jacket from corrosion would start with high speed heating issues and not low.
Yes the impeller is in the lower half of the out drive. Be sure to remove the zinc tab as a bolt is under there that holds the two halls together. Yes you tube is good but some do not show all the steps so get a mercruiser aftermarket book. You can find manuals at Amazon or you local boat store, same for parts.

Mike
mmwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks to all that helped with my last issue. I replaced the impeller which was not broken but I thought I would 'cause it came in the kit. the real problem was the upper water pump seal. It was worn and allowing water to escape rather than sending up the water intake. It runs now at a stable 175 degrees F, less if I go fast.

One other question... It's been a cool and wet season so I've only had the boat out a couple of times. I did have an opportunity to do a speed run after the pump rebuild and the engine would only spin up to 4K RPM. Is this normal? I thought I remembered it running faster at flank speed. Again, it is a 2006, 2000 SR3, with a 5.0L normally aspirated stern drive Alpha. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 09-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #6

Take a look at your Volt Meter when you're running hotter. Then look at it is when the temps are back down to normal. Is there a correlation to a drop in the volt meter and an increase in temp?

shrew is offline   Reply With Quote