Old 11-12-2018, 02:01 AM   #41
Ensign

Hi rwc - late to the party I realise, but I bought a 2008 Maxum about a year ago and replaced the entire exhaust system (manifolds/risers/elbows). I'm pretty handy when it comes to mechanics, but more cars/motorbikes than boats. Given that you're new to boating I'd be inclined to have a qualified marine engineer do the exhaust. Yes it's only a few bolts and hoses, but I understand that the mating surfaces should be properly cleaned if not re-surfaced. Given the importance of this to the longevity of the motor and the implications of a substandard job I suggest leaving this to the professionals.

The only other thing I'd have checked out as a matter of routine, assuming you have one, is the cool fuel unit. Mine was in pretty bad shape - discovered only when the motor started to cut out on idle soon after I bought it. When the seals go on the unit it allows water to enter the fuel lines - not good. A new unit is not overly expensive - probably around $300-400 fitted, and well worth the peace of mind. If the original unit is still on there then it won't have much life left in it in any event.

Happy boating!

Jon

WifflesMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote