Old 10-11-2017, 12:56 AM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwc View Post
I don't know yet. Without info to the contrary, I suspect they are as old as the boat. I figured since the mechanic is pulling off the leg to paint it anyway, I might as well get it swapped, but he surprised me by saying it might not need to be done. He said if the drive isn't raised regularly, they can last a very long time.

My concern is that they "can" last, not that they "will" last.
If they are that old the rubber will become hard and crack easier. With the drive raised look between the folds for cracking in the rubber. When they fail water will leak into the boat and can sink it if unattended. A leaky driveshaft bellows will also ruin the gimbal bearing.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:19 AM   #12
rwc
Lt. JG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwjr View Post
If they are that old the rubber will become hard and crack easier. With the drive raised look between the folds for cracking in the rubber. When they fail water will leak into the boat and can sink it if unattended. A leaky driveshaft bellows will also ruin the gimbal bearing.
Thanks Mike. I will check it out when the boat is next lifted. There is water in the bilge. I pumped it out and now I think there is a little more than the remaining bit I didn't pump. Not sure if this is salt or rain water, but I suppose it could be a slow leaking bellows. How quickly does it ruin the gimbal and is a very slow leak enough to do it?

rwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:23 AM   #13
Admiral

It will ruin the bearing quickly but it may not show signs right away. Cheap enough to replace while doing the bellows. I would also replace the lower shift cable while you are there. They actually sell the bellows, bearing and cable as a kit.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:26 AM   #14
Admiral

Forgot to mention to check for play in the swivel shaft which is the steering pin at the top of the transom assembly. When the boat is out try moving it side to side by pushing on the drive. Common issue and compounded by not verifying the torque on the topic u bolt yearly.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:41 AM   #15
Admiral

Also forgot to say replace the water hose on the transom assembly while doing the bellows as on Bravos this us know to clog due to the use of an insert to lock it in place. The hose also comes with the kit.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #16
rwc
Lt. JG

Hi Mike.

Checked out the exhaust system and suspect it is dry joint like you described, but entirely sure. I attached some pictures. the first shows two hoses going to the riser and elbow, which is I think what you were describing. The second shows that there is surface corrosion on the manifold. If it is dry joint can I just clean and paint the manifold or is it reason enough to replace the whole thing?

The water hose you mention in your last post, is that the raw water uptake for the cooling? I have an aftermarket thru hull uptake and the drive uptake has been capped off. If that's what you meant, presume that means I dont have to worry about it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171012_125518.jpg (170.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20171012_125528_001.jpg (168.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 10-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #17
rwc
Lt. JG

sorry about pics being upside down. oops.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:14 PM   #18
Admiral

Quote:
sorry about pics being upside down. oops.

I hope the boat is right side up.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #19
Admiral

Quote:
Hi Mike.

Checked out the exhaust system and suspect it is dry joint like you described, but entirely sure. I attached some pictures. the first shows two hoses going to the riser and elbow, which is I think what you were describing. The second shows that there is surface corrosion on the manifold. If it is dry joint can I just clean and paint the manifold or is it reason enough to replace the whole thing?

The water hose you mention in your last post, is that the raw water uptake for the cooling? I have an aftermarket thru hull uptake and the drive uptake has been capped off. If that's what you meant, presume that means I dont have to worry about it?
Yep dry joint.

It appears that the manifolds are closed cooled but I cannot be 100% sure. The lower hose is coming from the heat exchanger but not sure if its on the closed side or raw water side. Guess you can loosen the hose to see what comes out.

That rust is pretty bad and suggest a leak. You will need to take it apart to inspect to see if it can be cleaned up or not.

Ok and thru hull seacock was added and the transom raw water hose has been blocked, no issues.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:06 AM   #20
Captain

For a second there I thought he was from Australia, not BC

I had to turn my monitor up side down.

Phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote