Go Back   Maxum Boat Owners Club - Forum > Maxum General > Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Raw Water Strainer location and cleaing

Just got back from a great cruise, came back to the marina (located on the Fraser River) and coming into the fairway we ran aground! Tide was coming in but there is obviously a buildup up river muck that needs to be removed. To make a long story short, I shut the engine down right away but i think I picked up some muck as when i got it back to my slip and started it up again, it started to go above 180 degrees after a few minutes so I think i have a plugged intake or strainer. I looked in the engine compartment but i can only see the intake for the head. any ideas how to tell if I have a strainer/filter for the raw water, where it would be located and if I can clean it with the boat in the water or do I have to haul it out?

koresample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
Admiral

man..sounds like it sucks...literally.....well....I think you probably need to haul it out...do you have out drives??.....do you have raw water cooling or fresh water cooling??...if you have raw water..bout the easiest thing is to pull the boat out and run it on muffs....watching the temps closely..

FWC system ..there is the heat exchanger, pull both end caps and rod it with a coat hanger or dowel....

SP

Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
Ensign

its raw water cooled unfortunately. I have a Bravo 3, is there anything on that i should check as well? What is the normal operating temperature for a 5.7? I think in my survey it said my temp read 170 when the actual temp was 140....I'm probably hooped.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Commander

Cool raw water

It might be a good idea to check the impeller on the raw pump .If you find any rubber impeller parts in the heat exchanger ends.I did the same thing low water sand bar****just be sure to clean it all out.
cunuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Admiral

well..if raw water cooled..there isn't much between the drive and the pump...the normal temp is about 170-180 degs/f....so...your going to have to try and back flush the system or put the muffs on the drive and run it at idle to try and flush the system..then take the pump apart and check the impeller and housing...

SP
Par Excellence
------------------------------
2008 Bayliner 340 - "Wild Whim"
--------------------------------------
I live in my own little world....but it's okay-they know me here!!!

Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.
Tap-Rack-Bang

Anyone that sez "Size doesn't matter" has never owned a boat!
seapuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

KS,

The raw water pick up for a B3 drive is on the drive itself, down low, just above the bullet shaped housing for the props. On each side of the lower drive there is a series of small holes, maybe 1/4" in diameter, aligned vertically. With engine off and keys removed from ignition tilt the drive all the way up, drop into the water and check those intake holes.

Curious though. You say "as when i got it back to my slip and started it up again".... Did it not overheat after you got un-stuck and headed back to the slip?

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
Ensign

I wasn't sure if I had sucked anything up so I just let it float free and then walked the dock pulling it along with the lines until i got it back to my slip (lots of fun that was). I checked it yesterday and sure enough, the impeller was toast. New one went in today and it seems like all is good now.